Pages

Monday, August 24, 2026

Squiddies 2026

The Armchair Squid turns seventeen years old today.  It's time to hand out some hardware.  The Squiddy goes to...

Biggest Surprise: Our Kid, the Sports Fan

It was the winter of 2006, twenty years ago.  I had Olympic hockey on TV, our child's first exposure to the game.  They ran to their room and grabbed the nearest hockey stick-like object - probably a wrapping paper tube - and returned to the living room yelling "My turn! My turn!"  I was sure we had a future player on our hands. 

That didn't exactly pan out.  They grew into a performing arts kid instead.  I can't complain.  I was one, too.  


Just in the past few years, they've found an unexpected interest in spectator sports.  It started with professional wrestling, of all things.  The two of us went to see Pro Wrestling GRIND in late February which would have been plenty enough of a surprise for me in itself even though it was technically my suggestion.

The real magic came with this year's Olympics when they fell in love with women's hockey.  Wouldn't you know it, there's a relatively new professional league with a team in nearby Montreal!  We went to a game during their spring break, then followed the rest of the season together on YouTube.  When a new women's baseball league launched this summer, they were the ones who pushed for watching the inaugural game together.


This development has already had a major impact on my own sports-viewing habits and I expect it will continue to do so for a while.


Biggest Disappointment: The Little Squirt's Passing

Our cat - my all-time favorite cat - got cancer.  We tried some of the lower cost treatment options but eventually made the tough choice and had her put down.  I know it was the merciful, responsible decision.  She was in pain.  Still, I miss her.  I expect I may always miss her.

RIP, little one.  I love you.



via Amazon

Over the past year-plus, I've gone on a deep dive with the Hernandez brothers' Love and Rockets comics.  Human Diastrophism was the second collection of Palomar stories I read.  Palomar is a fictional Central American town where we get to know the residents over several generations.  Cute little kids grow up to be young adults with complicated sex lives with the turn of a page.  Terrible things happen to the community in this volume: a serial killer's rampage, an earthquake.  Because of the intimacy of the narrative, I as the reader ache for my dear friends.  Hernandez's masterful storytelling is best exhibited in a story about Pipo, a young woman who has moved from Palomar to Los Angeles.  The tales told in the images and the text are entirely independent of one another.


Best Comics Find: Human Diastrophism by Gilbert Hernandez

See above.


Athlete of the Year: Laura Stacey

via Wikipedia

Right wing Laura Stacey was the first star of the Montreal Victoire game we went to with two goals and an assist.  Over the rest of the season, she became my favorite, the sort of player who, in addition to scoring plenty, is seemingly always diving across the ice after a loose puck.  She plays with joy and competitive fire.  Seriously, what more can you ask of a professional athlete?

The Victoire went on to win the Walter Cup, the Professional Women's Hockey League championship trophy.  Stacey isn't even the team's best player.  That would be her wife, Marie-Philip Poulin, considered by many to be women's hockey's GOAT.  Poulin is captain of both the Victoire and the Canadian national team.  Together, Stacey and Poulin form two thirds of Montreal's "Wife Line" along with left wing Abby Roque.  They are almost certainly the best first line in the league and even with expansion, they're all coming back next season.

And, of course, Canada won silver in women's hockey at the Olympics: Stacey's third medal for her career (including one gold) and Poulin's fifth (three golds).

Up for some highlights?  Here's every goal Stacey scored in the league this year: 7 in the regular season, 3 in the playoffs.



Best Family Adventure: Northampton, Massachusetts


Northampton has played a marvelous role in our lives over the past four years.  Home to Smith College, it is also one of the great hippie enclaves of New England, by census data the gayest city in the United States and more female-forward than just about any place I've ever been.  Smith, a women's college since its founding in 1871, is a big part of that, of course.  But the female energy runs a lot deeper.  No joke, I fell in love with the place and I already miss having an excuse to visit regularly.  The kid's future plans are still forming and it is absolutely possible they could end up living in that part of the world again.  But for now, I'll settle for wonderfully pleasant memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment