Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Step by Step: Setting Goals

For me, the beginning of the blogging year coincides with the beginning of the school year, a good time to set fitness goals.  I have learned over time, reasonable expectations are important.  During the summer, I have near-complete control over my schedule plus there's plenty of daylight.  So knocking out goals is easy.  Once school starts, it's harder.  A step count isn't much of an issue.  Teaching literally keeps me on my feet.  But finding time, energy and, most crucially, motivation for anything beyond that is challenging.

My step goal at the moment is 9,000, 1,000 above the factory setting for my fitness tracker, AmazFit Band 7.  Last year, I ended up reducing the goal back to 8,000 over the winter months and I hope to avoid the same this time.  Additionally, I would like to include a more intensive workout each day.  During the school year, it will likely need to happen during the evening and that's not always easy.  The workout is definitely the bigger ask.  Over the summer, I did alright with it.  Let's see if I can keep it up.

This past week, I met both of those goals every day.

A walk in our hilly neighborhood is my default exercise choice.  Vermont is dependably beautiful so photography is one of my best motivators.  I have five spots which I approach with a Monet-esque philosophy.  It's meaningful to capture them at different times of year.  

8/16/26

8/18/26

8/22/26

8/22/26

8/22/26

With wildlife, it's get what you can when you can.  Don't waste time trying to get closer or waiting for better light or whatever.  Reptiles and amphibians are unusually cooperative because their default defense is lying still in hopes of evading detection.  With birds and mammals, you'd better be quick.  And lucky.

Red-Spotted Newt

Common Garter Snake


No comments:

Post a Comment