Monday, February 2, 2015

Very Inspiring Blogger Award

My dear pal Cherdo nominated me for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award.  You know that friend you sit with during boring meetings because she makes snarky comments that preserve your sanity?  That's Cherdo.  If you're not already following her blog over at Cherdo on the Flipside, you're missing out on the good stuff.  Thank you for the award, my friend!


The Rules for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award:

1. Thank the person who nominated you, and link to their blog.

2. Display the award logo.

3. Nominate 15 other bloggers (more or less) and provide a link where they may be found.

4. Go to their blog, leave a comment to let them know they have been nominated.

5. Mention three things that inspired you the most during the past few weeks.


Three Things That Inspired Me Recently:

1.  The Show.  Last week was Show Week at school.  On Thursday night, we opened our middle school musical: Wonka, Jr.  This was the fourth musical and the sixth play overall that Drama Guy and I have directed together and while it is a lot of work, there are always many inspirations along the way.  In My Wife's analysis, our Oompa-Loompas stole the show.  Out of necessity, one devotes a lot of time to the leads in a play and ours did just fine.  But when the ensemble can hold up their end and make the most of their own moments, you know your program's heading in the right direction.

2. The Concerts.  My daughter has been a daily source of inspiration from birth.  Now in 5th grade, she's busy with her own performing arts endeavors.  In recent weeks, it's been school concerts: band (alto sax) last week, chorus two weeks before that.  In total, she performed in five ensembles: 5/6 chorus, 5-8 chorus, African drumming ensemble, 5th grade band and 6th grade band.  Through it all, she always looks confident and, more importantly, happy.  Now she wants to teach herself to play the harmonica.  Her music teachers think this is all my doing but in all honesty, I do my best to stay out of her way.  Go get 'em, kiddo!

3. The Bread.  I'm baking, folks!  I'll write more about such adventures once I get through the last few episodes of Star Trek.  For now, a photo from one of my early attempts:



It tasted just fine, I swear!


My Nominations:

I know not everyone is so keen on these awards but for me, they're an opportunity to honor my friends.  I don't know if I'd bother blogging anymore if not for the kind folks who take the time to read the drivel I post.  Regardless of whether any of you chooses to post this award or pass it on, you definitely deserve it:
  1. MOCK!
  2. Nancy Mock
  3. Suze
  4. Cygnus 
  5. DAVID WALSTON
  6. Toi Thomas
  7. Trisha F
  8. Stephanie Faris
  9. Marcy S. Hatch
  10. Stephanie
  11. Veronica Rundell
  12. Megan Whitson Lee
  13. Andrew Leon
  14. Sally
  15. Jennifer Ellis

30 comments:

  1. How sweet! I'm putting my list up on Wednesday--as it's my one "free" blog day this week.
    Best,
    V:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the award and the kids performance skills! That bread looks pretty tasty actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to you, too! It was an honor being nominated with you.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations to you, and thank you for the nomination! I hope I get to try some of your baked goods soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quick bread with dried fruit turned out pretty well. I'll be happy to share with Mocks!

      Delete
  4. 5th grade is a wonderful, wonderful year. Our little one's been doin' the choir and tap thing this past winter and this spring, she'll be stage crew for the musical her class is performing. She was too shy to try out for a part and I told her stage crew would be a blast! Congrats on your girl being so accomplished and, most importantly, having such a good time!

    And congrats to you on your achievements with your students. I remember just how enormously satisfying that was when I taught Drama! Beautiful times.

    Thank you so much for this award. I've kinda dropped off the face in blogger world but there are big things in the works which I will definitely broadcast as soon as I can.

    You absolutely deserve this award. Thanks for passing it on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your big things in the works sound very exciting, Suze! I look forward to reading all about them.

      Delete
  5. Yeah! Wonka, Jr. sounds like it was a big success and I love that the Oompa Loompas did such a great job. It sounds very rewarding.

    I am also looking forward to hearing more about your bread baking. Glad the one in the photo tasted good- and it was probably a conversation piece too!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo really doesn't do it justice. Quite a spectacular explosion, yet edible!

      Delete
  6. I enjoy reading your drivel.... so there !
    (said with a hand on the hip)

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  7. You totally deserved the nod. And lookie there - more inspiring things! You're baking? Really, Squidman, you got it all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for nominating me! I'll get this one written up and posted as soon as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you are so blessed with such a wonderfully creative family. You deserve this nomination for all you do inspire the rest of us. I never would have taken the plunge to write movie reviews had it not been for you. Congratulations and thanks for the nomination.

    ReplyDelete
  10. well dang, thank you for thinking of me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for the nomination!! I'm honored!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. By the way, I'll post this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Squid! I'm sure I won't find a full 15 fellow bloggers to pay it forward, but this will give me a good chance to sift through the blogs I've been enjoying recently, and to pass links on to y'all.

    So, does "Wonka Jr" take inspiration from the original books, or from the classic film adaptations? If you delete "Cheer up Charlie," I'm there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our production included the songs from the Wilder movie (including "Cheer Up, Charlie," I'm afraid) but had the nut room rather than the golden egg geese so that bit, at least, was closer to the book. Lots of new songs, too.

      Delete
  14. Hey! Thanks for the nomination. I'll see if I can work it into my upcoming posts, but I can't promise anything.
    And awesome on the bread. It's like books: Don't judge it by its "cover."

    ReplyDelete