Monday, June 29, 2015

Creative Blogger Award

I am both honored and humbled to be nominated for the Creative Blogger Award by Spacerguy, Star Trek Enthusiast, First Class.  His site, Star Trek - Sci Fi Blog, is one of my favorites.  Spacerguy is one of my companions for the Animated Series project.  Thanks for the nomination, sir!


The rules:

1. Thank and post the link of the person who nominated you.
2. Share 5 facts about yourself to your readers.
3. Nominate 10-20 blogs and notify them.
4. Pass on the rules.


Five Facts:

1. We just got back from a family vacation in Montana.  We spent a week on the northern edge of Flathead Lake, not far from Glacier National Park.  It was the first time in the state for me.


2. I'm trying to learn more about food, partly by reading but also by cooking.  One food hobby I really enjoy is mixing cocktails.  While I'm generally more likely to drink beer or wine, I love the mad scientist aspect of amateur bartending.  My wife generally favors fizzy gin drinks: gin rickey, gin fizz and gin and tonic.  Sidecars have also been a gratifying discovery.  Mixing doesn't exactly qualify as cooking but I think there's a lot to learn in terms of balancing flavors.  Citrus, for example, can overpower a drink, even in modest proportions.  Every once in a while, though, a delightful combination emerges.  Almond and lime are a dazzling duo.

3. Playing table top games is one of our favorite family hobbies.  Our most satisfying recent discovery has been the card game Gloom.  Each player has a family.  The object is to make each family member miserable before killing them off, one by one.  Colorful storytelling is encouraged.  Any fan of Edward Gorey would be charmed by this game.

4. I took my first yoga class a couple weeks ago. My wife had done yoga before but it had been a few years since she took a class.  We went together to a Saturday beginner class at a relatively new studio.  I'm hoping it's a hobby we'll be able to pursue together.  I was actually pleasantly surprised by my own flexibility though several of the poses provided ample challenge nonetheless.
 
5. The Armchair Squid began life as a sports blog, initially tennis.  While I don't write about sports nearly as often now, I still watch plenty.  Wimbledon kicks off this week, always an exciting time of year for me.


My nominations for the Creative Blogger Award:

1. What's Up, MOCK?
2. Hungry Enough to Eat Six
3. Servitor Ludi
4. Strange Pegs
5. The ToiBox of Words
6. Cherdo on the Flipside
7. WOMEN: WE SHALL OVERCOME
8. mainewords
9. WORD + STUFF
10. Stephanie Faris

32 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, dear Squidomus Maximus. You are too kind and I humbly accept the fact that you've given me a post for Tuesday! Creativity is important; without it...bleh. You're a fountain of creativity and it doesn't surprise me that Spacerguy thought of you when he was looking for nominees.

    I'll throw in my nominations tomorrow! Thanks, again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love board games at our house too. I've never been to Montana but would like to go sometime. Nice to know more about you and stay with the yoga.
    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the award. Beautiful picture--I'd love to visit Montana. I miss doing yoga and playing table top games.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the award! Th picture you share is wonderful. I wish I could be there right now, enjoying that view. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. I don't remember if I've gotten this before, but if I have, I can get it again. It's not as if it's shingles.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gloom sounds fun! I will have to look into that.

    And thanks so much for the recognition. I usually don't do awards things anymore, but I'll see what I can come up with. Which reminds me, there was one I intended to do a couple or few months ago that I completely forgot about. Now I have to go figure out what that was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't sweat it. I'm happy to give a shout out to my friends.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations, Squid! Award well-deserved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sir! I was delighted to see you won one, too.

      Delete
  8. Well deserved !
    I so enjoy reading your posts.
    I loved Montana. We fly fished, catch and release.
    Idaho is great too.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife seems keen to try fishing. Of course, we can do that here in Vermont, too.

      Delete
    2. I love fishing and fly fishing is just fabulous !

      Delete
    3. It's a popular hobby around here. I haven't been fishing since I was about 14. I'd be up for trying it again sometime.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations Armchair Squid, enjoy the jubilation my bloggie friend. You are the creative writer. You writing is enjoyable to read and interesting too. Well done dude.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the award and Spacerguy does have an awesome site. I've never tried almond and like but it sounds like a refreshing combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maurice! I saw you were nominated, too. Congrats.

      Try almond syrup, lime juice and Coca-Cola: fantastic combo.

      Delete
  11. Montana is a lovely state (and so is Idaho, Wyoming, Utah....) I like your idea of cooking and I, too, like to consume my grain in a liquid form, there are fewer carbs that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to do other cooking, too...

      I haven't spent much time in the West. British Columbia is next on my wish list out that direction.

      Delete
  12. Thank you for the Award! And Gloom sounds awesome; I LOVE Edward Gorey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife likes him, too, which I think is part of what drew her to the game in the first place.

      Delete
  13. Congrats on the award. I would love to visit Montana because it seems so rustic in my head. I make a mean "Tahiti drink" as my hubby calls it. You put some ice in, whatever the person wants. I shotglass(jigger) of vodka, 1/2 jigger of cocoanut rum, orange juice to 3/4 full and top it off with cranberry juice. You could probably add soda water if you want. My sis in law loves this drink. I love board games but my hubby is not as much into it so I dream of playing at least monthly but that doesn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw you were nominated, too. Congrats to you!

      Your drink sounds good. Colorful, too.

      Delete
  14. Thank you for the recognition; it means a lot coming from you. You really are a creative blogger. I love your content. I'll do my best to pass this on to some creative nominees.

    As far as yoga goes, I'm still faking it on my Wii Fit. Love cooking but haven't played around with cocktails much. And seriously, that picture doesn't even look real. It looks like a dream. Glad you had a chance to visit there. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Toi. You deserve it.

      Montana is definitely one of those postcard perfect places.

      Delete
  15. Congrats! In your mixology, don't discount simple syrups! I love macerating some ripe fruit and boiling it with a cup of water plus a cup of sugar, then adding vodka or whiskey when cooled. Autumn fave: grated apple in simple syrup made w/brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon. Can be served warm with vodka, but I prefer whiskey. It's yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds yummy. You're an artist! We do like simple syrups but, at least to this point, we've bought them. If I get more adventurous, I might try making my own.

      I love the word macerate. It sounds so... dirty.

      Delete