Friday, November 4, 2016

Squid Cooks: The Burger

Even prior to my current efforts to improve my cooking skills, I was fairly confident in my hamburger recipe and technique.  Indeed, it was gratifying to see that Mark Bittman's recipe in How to Cook Everything: The Basics was essentially the same as mine: fold chopped onions into the meat before cooking.  What was new for me, however, was using the broiler for the job.  I usually cook them on the stove top.  It made for a nice variation, providing an exterior crust.  I might not cook them quite as long next time.

10 comments:

  1. Not to belittle your burgers, but I make awesome burgers.
    Awesome.
    Especially when my wife makes buns rather than using purchased ones.
    I smell a cookoff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you put in yours?

      I used to use oregano based on a burger I had 20 years ago at the St. Clair Grill in St. Paul. Maybe I should try that again sometime.

      Delete
    2. The spice mix is variable. It's more about the meat mix. I use ground beef and turkey. The beef gives the texture, but the turkey absorbs the flavors of whatever you put in it.

      Delete
    3. I've tried turkey. I haven't tried mixing the two. Interesting idea.

      Delete
  2. As a kid I equated the flat burgers in fast food with what they're supposed to look like, so every time my dad made his which were invariably fatter, I thought he'd done something wrong. I had much to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fast food certainly dulled my palate as a child, too.

      Delete
  3. I've never tried making home-made burgers and yours look yummy to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always nice to learn a new cooking technique. Glad you enjoyed the change. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I may yet go back to the stove top. I feel like it preserves the moisture better. I like the juices. If I can manage a genuine medium rare with the broiler, I will stick with it.

      Delete