Friday, March 17, 2017

Squid Brews: Rooty Toot Root Beer

Ladies and gentlemen, we have root beer...


Yet another recipe from Homemade Soda by Andrew Schloss, this "Rooty Toot Root Beer" is quite intensely flavorful: not especially sweet, though.  My daughter, while she liked it, even described it as a little bitter.  For me, it was alright but not as satisfying as the orange honey ginger ale from a couple months back.  We still must see if it passes the ultimate root beer test: floats!

The carbonation process is a bit mysterious.  The way it's supposed to work, after you add the yeast and bottle, the plastic bottles sit for a few days.  You know the yeast has done its job when the bottles harden - and they're really supposed to be rock hard.  That worked beautifully for the ginger ale but not as well this time.  They were harder after a few days but not quite what I expected.  I saw bubbles, though, so I figured the soda was, in fact, carbonating.  Once the bottles harden, they go in the fridge for a week to slow the carbonation down.  I took a chance and put them in, hopefully not prematurely.

I needn't have worried.  The bottles were downright explosive when I opened them.  I don't know if it's worth looking into reducing the carbonation.  I have the same issue with the beer.  The mess is a drawback, of course, but I also regret losing so much of the liquid to foam.  On the other hand, I don't exactly understand all of the microbiological processes involved so perhaps best not to tinker until I learn more.

10 comments:

  1. Messes like that must have been horrible. Will you remember to open the bottles outside next time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, I am usually smart enough to open them over the sink.

      Delete
  2. Maybe put less in the bottles? Or use bigger bottles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Less yeast might be the answer but I want to learn more before I try that.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like the carbonation process is a little tricky. Wish I had a helpful hint, but I have never made my own beer or soda.

    Glad you are getting to try some new creations with your family. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, though I am not sure root beer is worthwhile. I want to try a straight up ginger ale next.

      Delete
  4. Yum! That looks delicious! I'll have to try making it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not bad, though I liked the ginger ale better.

      Delete
  5. Oh yum! So delicious! I'm saving this recipe.

    ReplyDelete