Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Squid Mixes: Bushranger

A bushranger combines light rum, Dubonnet rouge and Angostura bitters with a lemon twist.  My recipe from The New York Bartender's Guide puts the rum and Dubonnet in 4:3 ratio.  I'm always impressed by how the bitters, even in tiny quantity, plays such a defining role in the flavoring of any drink.  In the bushranger, the Dubonnet, a wine-based aperitif, brings out the warmth of the bitters more than the other way around.  The end result is pleasantly sweet and sufficiently wintery according to my wife.

Bushrangers were escaped convicts during the early British settlement of Australia.  In national folklore, they represent rebellion against authority.  While the drink is presumably Australian in origin, I couldn't find a precise history. 

10 comments:

  1. This sounds quite good but I never did try those bitters and think the taste must be...bitter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bitters on their own would be intensely unpleasant. But in a cocktail, they provide a subtle accent that is actually far from bitter.

      Delete
  2. This makes me wish I could drink ! It sounds so good.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Angry parsnip, it makes me wish I could drink!

    Bushranger is an excellent name.

    ReplyDelete