Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Squid Mixes: Tom Collins

According to 3-Ingredient Cocktails by Robert Simonson, a Tom Collins combines gin, 1:1 simple syrup, lemon juice and soda water.  As noted in this post, the distinction between a Tom Collins and John Collins is fuzzy but Simonson's awfully persnickety so I'll trust him.

The resulting drink was quite pleasant, a sweeter version of a gin & tonic.  Simonson recommends a lemon wedge and a brandied cherry for garnish.  My wife didn't see any jarred brandied cherries at the store so we may need to look into making our own - such a hardship!  I used a regular maraschino cherry this time.


Happy, Healthy Squid

I'm down half a pound this week so the weight now stands at B-8 (baseline minus 8 lbs).  I'm actually rather surprised.  I was not so well-behaved this week, missing my exercise goals twice, once by accident, once through laziness.  I was half-expecting a spike.  Surprises abound.

From my walks:

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. Took me all summer to get a decent shot of a monarch.

      Delete
  2. I'm thinking of branching into some whiskey cocktails next. I figure not everything can be rum and tequila.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like a good Tom Collins and that looks yummy. Good for you for losing the weight and who cares if you were lazy for a day and/or/ cheated a bit. We are human after all. I love the monarch on the goldenrod...the colours are great

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew a Tom Collins once... It could have gotten confusing around a bar, but I don’t think we were ever in a fancy enough bar where they would have known the drink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Did he have a brother named John? And parents with a sneaky sense of humor?

      Delete
  5. I should try the mix....
    butterfly look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete