Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Squid Mixes: Pegu Club


A Pegu Club combines gin, triple sec (I used Cointreau), lime juice, simple syrup, aromatic bitters and orange bitters.  I got my recipe from David Lebovitz.  The result is basically an alcoholic limeade - quite a nice thing.  The syrup is optional and if we were to try it again, I might go without or at least less.  I do enjoy a tart lime.

The drink is named for a club in Rangoon during the British colonial era.  The Pegu is a river in Myanmar.


Vermouth Battles: Gambarelli & Davitto vs. Tribuno

Gambarelli & Davitto (G&D) is a sweet vermouth we have used fairly often.  G&D also produces our currently favored dry vermouth.  Like Tribuno, it is a New York-based company.

The Manhattan Test

My wife preferred the G&D, finding it more fruity.  I preferred the Tribuno which definitely produced a sweeter drink.  In G&D's favor, I would say that with less sugar, the other ingredients were more pronounced which is a good thing.  However, a little bit of that wheaty aftertaste crept in with the G&D.  It's not as pronounced as with the Martini & Rossi but it's there.

Decision: Split

Yes, in previous battles, I have favored my wife's choice in the name of the Customer Is Always Right principle.  However, I'm not ready to concede in this case.  It's not a deal-breaker but I want to get rid of that aftertaste if I can, frankly even if it means switching to dry vermouth.  My wife said she would be happy with either of the current contestants and I probably would also but it's just too close to call.  Price doesn't help either.  The cost per volume comparison varies with size of the bottles.  For now, I am willing to consider the two brands as...

Co-Champions: Gambarelli & Davitto and Tribuno

2 comments:

  1. I like the connection to Rangoon

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Myanmar experience is awfully limited - of course, that's true for most of the world.

      Delete