Originally Published July 10, 1984
Writer and Artist: Walter Simonson
- The story of the Casket of Ancient Winters begins.
- Korean War vet Roger Willis is told of the casket. He doesn't know what it is but he's been charged with protecting it with his life.
- Thor arrives, having broken a date with Melodi across town in order to help.
- Malekith wants the casket, too, and kills Eric, Roger's eternally youthful father, in the pursuit.
August 10, 1984
- Roger finds the casket on an abandoned stretch of the West Side Highway and is almost immediately attacked by Malekith and the Hounds of the Hunter. Thor helps to fend them off. The Hounds' weakness: iron.
- Back at Melodi/Lorelei's apartment, Thor finally drinks her enchanted golden mead and is compelled to fall in love with her.
- Unfortunately, the Melodi in attendance is not the real thing but an animated stock of wood. The real Melodi/Lorelei has been kidnapped by Malekith.
- To get her back, Thor must bring the casket to the Cotswalds of England.
September 10, 1984
- Thor and Roger head to the Cotswalds to rescue Melodi.
- Thor battles Algrim. Malekith sends both into a bottomless chasm.
- Meanwhile, Malekith blinds Roger (fortunately, only temporarily).
- Back in Asgard, Balder meets the Norns.
|Fandral, Volstagg and Hogun via Wikipedia|
- Odin summons the Warriors Three - Fandral, Hogun, Volstagg - and commands that they prepare forces for war. He senses that Surtur is about to attack.
October 10, 1984
- Thor and Roger defeat Malekith, but not before Malekith destroys the casket.
- Surtur enters our realm and Asgardian forces brace for war.
November 10, 1984
- The shattering of the casket causes unseasonable cold in Midgard, a winter experienced in other Marvel publications at the time which is kinda cool (pun intended).
- Roger suspects Melodi/Lorelei's enchantment of Thor but through a separate spell, she prevents him from telling Thor.
- Odin tells the history of the struggle against Surtur, the story that begins his own rise to power as ruler of Asgard.
- Beta Ray Bill is summoned to Asgard to help in the coming battle.
December 10, 1984
- Odin summons all of the Norse gods and goddesses to aid in the battle against Surtur, including:
- Hermod, based on Hermóðr, the messenger of the gods
|via Marvel Database|
- Skurge the Executioner
|via Villains Wiki|
- Amora the Enchantress
- Thor enlists the help of the Avengers, including Captain Marvel (new alias: Monica Rambeau), Scarlet Witch, Starfox and the Wasp.
|Monica Rambeau via Wikipedia|
|Starfox via Wikipedia|
- All but Odin and Heimdall go to New York to fend off Surtur and his minions. Odin and Heimdall remain to defend Asgard.
- Surtur breaks through when Bifrost is revealed, a result of the freak winter storm.
- To be continued...