Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Squid Eats: Waterworks


Winooski, Vermont is an old textile mill town.  When we first moved to Vermont in 2002 - just across the river in Burlington - Winooski was in the early stages of a Renaissance.  Long abandoned mill buildings were finally finding new life in the form of apartment complexes and retail space.  The once rundown embarrassment has become one of Chittenden County's hip night spots.  One well-established restaurant was Waterworks, occupying a space in the Champlain Mill, providing an elegant view of the river cascading over the falls just before it hits a dam.  The current iteration of Waterworks Food + Drink has been in operation since 2014.

It's a relatively fancy restaurant by Vermont standards, a nice spot to go when my parents are in town.  It's a bustling space with high ceilings, dark wood fixtures and large windows to accommodate the view.  We went recently with a large group.  Our friends the Mocks were in town, inspiring a dinner gathering.

I really wanted the butter poached lobster tail.  I adore lobster and despite the expense, always order it whenever I feel I can reasonably justify it.  The only problem on this visit was that the lobster tail was offered only as an add on at $17.  I was tempted to tell the waitress I'd be happy to simply order two.  For the sake of a more balanced meal, I ordered the Caeser salad at $12.  So yes, the add on cost more than the salad.  Totally worth it.  The salad was perfectly nice.  The lobster was divine.  I wasn't provided much in the way of utensils for eating it but my dinner companions didn't seem to mind me ripping it open with my bare hands.  Not that I would have cared if they did.  I have little shame when it comes to shellfish.

Overall, it was a lovely meal and a wonderful gathering.  We'll be back.


No comments:

Post a Comment