Tuesday, August 31, 2010

US Open Day 2: Nalbandian Survives

Curtain Call

Player: Rik De Voest
Nation: South Africa
Age: 30
Current Ranking: 231
Tour Page
Today's Result: loss to David Nalbandian (31st seed, Argentina) in five sets

Photo from ATP

Well done, sir, of course. I can't deny, however, that I would have been mighty embarrassed had my pick for the champion gone out in the first round. I know he's a long shot but still!

De Voest has had more career success as a doubles player. His high rank for doubles (#39) is significantly higher than his high for singles (#110). He also has won two doubles titles on tour. Going five sets against possibly the best grinder in the world is still pretty darn good for a 30-year-old.


Catching Up with Old Friends

Daniel Brands (Curtain Call, Wimbledon Day 7) - This was Brands's first time in the main draw of the US Open. A first round exit pales in comparison to his fourth round effort at Wimbledon but the 23-year-old's career is definitely heading in the right direction.

All Part of My Fantasy

I'm already out of the running for the men but my pick for the women today was Jelena Jankovic. It was a little scary in the third set against Simon Halep but Jankovic prevailed.

No comments:

Post a Comment