Sunday, April 6, 2014

Family Movie Night: A Star Is Born

Title: A Star Is Born
Director: George Cukor
Original Release: 1954
Choice: Mine
My Overall Rating: 3 stars out of 5
via Wikipedia
Imagine that instead of lighthearted and inspiring, Singin' in the Rain were dark and depressing - not to mention significantly longer.  You'd basically have A Star Is Born.  The movie, a remake of a 1937 film of the same name, was originally billed as Judy Garland's comeback picture.  Garland plays the role of singer Esther Blodgett who unexpectedly hits the career jackpot when she meets Norman Maine (James Mason), a Hollywood A-lister whose own fortunes are taking a nosedive due to his alcoholism.  As her star rises, his plummets, jeopardizing their marriage.  The part seems a strange choice for Garland as her career had already been severely compromised by her own well-known addictions.  Cary Grant apparently turned down the role of Norman because of her reputation for unreliability.



The movie was restored in 1983 to include footage from previously lost scenes.  Pan and scan of production stills are dubbed with preserved dialogue - a little strange but somehow, it matches the mood of the film nicely.  I wondered at first if it was done intentionally a la Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid but apparently not.

Garland's singing carries the film.  Whatever other damage she had done to mind, body and spirit by that point in her life, the voice of gold was still intact.  Songs, mostly by Harold Arlen and Ira Gershwin, are generally solid, though I could have done without the highly pejorative "Someone at Last."

The movie is definitely sad.  If you're seeking a light frolic, this isn't it.  But for a brutal glimpse of the darker side of Hollywood stardom, the film is frightfully honest.

19 comments:

  1. I remember seeing this movie when I was much younger. As a teen I never understood why no one could help him. As an adult you can understand.
    But I never watched the movie again it is so sad.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't feel any strong need to watch it again, though I am curious about the 1937 original and the 70s remake. It'd be interesting to see how different generations dealt with the same issue.

      Delete
    2. I have seen all three and I think that is enough for me.
      Despised the Barbra Streisand 1976 version just too much Barbara. Saw the 1937 film first and the scene at the end with the suit is very sad.

      Delete
    3. Now I'm curious about the others, also the What Price Hollywood? film mooderino mentioned.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen that one. It's one of those I've kind of always meant to see but something else always wins out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a movie I've ever given much thought to before. I'm glad to have seen it but once is enough.

      Delete
  3. A Star is Born is one of my favorite Judy Garland movies. Behind Wizard of Oz, of course. :) I personally think it should've been rated with 4 out of 5 stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I'll be checking out your bloggers' book club. :)

      Delete
    2. I hope you'll join us. It's good family fun.

      For me, a 4 is a movie I think I could watch again and I didn't feel that way about this one.

      Delete
  4. Good movie, I expect there'll be another remake in the works any time now. Worth watching the movie this was based on, What Price Hollywood?

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also directed by George Cukor! I haven't seen it, though.

      Delete
  5. I've never seen this film, but Garland's singing is always brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her singing is definitely the best reason to watch it, I think.

      Delete
  6. I haven't seen that one. Sounds really great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this one on our b/w TV, with its. own grainy screen. I cried as the movie progressed. Excellent choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see getting weepy over this one. The two leads are very convincing in their roles. Life experience had to have helped for Garland. She was well acquainted with the pain of such a life.

      Delete
  8. I've not seen this one of hers (honestly, I've never been a big Garland fan), but for whatever reason, I love a good, depressing story every now and then. I'm going to put this one down to watch in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I think the only other one of her movies I've seen is The Wizard of Oz. Of course, that is one of my all-time favorites and her performance of "Somewhere over the Rainbow" is a big reason why. But she is not my favorite character.

      Delete