Saturday, April 25, 2015

On the Coffee Table: Flambé

Title: Chew, Volume Four: Flambé
Writer: John Layman
Artist: Rob Guillory
via Amazon
The excellent comic book series Chew continues with Flambé, collecting issues #16-20.  Strange writing appeared in the sky at the end of Volume Three and much of Four is devoted to unraveling that mystery.  Public reactions to the writing range from panicked lawlessness to religious fervor.  The stories continually push the edge on the disgusting but while I'm not as impressed as I was in the beginning, I'm still enjoying the series.  Layman has quite a knack for strong cliffhangers and the end of Flambé is no exception.

Half the fun of Chew is the food powers some of the characters possess and Flambé introduces a couple of new ones.  Daniel Migdalo, a former FDA agent, is a Voresoph meaning he becomes smarter the more he eats.  New character Peter Pilaf has an unnamed power which allows him to control people with food.  There's also The Vampire lurking around the periphery.  I've rather had enough of vampires in pop culture but given the overarching food theme of Chew, I suppose it's appropriate.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, let me get this straight: the more he eats, the smarter he becomes. And there is Pilaf who controls people with food.
    And there is a Vampire thrown in for fun.
    Works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chew is an outstanding series if you can handle gross. I only barely can.

      Delete