Friday, February 5, 2016

Mock Squid Soup: February's Three Clues


Today, for this month's edition of Mock Squid Soup, all society members are invited to post three hints about their film choice for the month.  All are welcome to guess, of course.  My three clues:

- The writer/director is one of Hollywood's all-time superstar actors.  He appears in the film, though in a supporting role.  Interestingly, the actual male lead is a dead ringer for a younger version of the megastar and was nearly passed over for the part as a result.  However, the two are not related.

- The female lead is the daughter of rock 'n' roll royalty.

- The film is the only one I know of that takes place, at least in part, in northwest Pennsylvania.

Any guesses?  Society reviews will be posted next Friday, February 12th.  See you then.  Meanwhile, please visit my fellow cinephiles today:


16 comments:

  1. I feel so dumb as I should know this but I am drawing a blank. I am thinking Robert Redford...Oh wait...would it be The Patriot? This is with Mel Gibson and Heath Ledger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a tricky one. Armageddon since it stars the daughter of Steven Tyler. Good one A.C!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no clue. Maurice says Liv Tyler, but I don't know. So many names swirl around, finding no place to perch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Thing You Do!, interestingly shot partially at Mercyhurst College, where I attended for my freshman year. (My brother graduated from there.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's my guess, too, Tony Laplume!

    That Thing You Do! was a great flick. Are we right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it is That Thing You Do, I look forward to reading your review... haven't seen that one since it came out and wonder if it's worth a rewatch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is worth a rewatch. There are a couple scenes in particular that I dearly love. I look forward to talking about it more next week.

      Delete
  7. Late to the party...but I got that too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't get it- but I saw the comments above. I remember seeing That Thing You Do in the theater, but haven't seen it since. I will be looking forward to your review. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to Friday, too. Lots of intriguing movies this month.

      Delete