Tuesday, May 24, 2016

The Clone Wars: Evil Plans

My friends and I are watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars.  Every Tuesday, we will be featuring an episode from the series which began in 2008 (as opposed to the one that started in 2003).  All are welcome to join us for all or parts of the fun.

Episode: "Evil Plans"
Series: Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Season 3, Episode 8
Original Air Date: November 5, 2010
via Wookieepedia
While helping Padmé prepare for a state banquet, Anakin sends C-3PO and R2-D2 out for last minute supplies.  First Threepio, then Artoo are abducted by Cad Bane's henchmen.  Bane is after the floor plans for the Senate building, which he assumes are stored in the droids' memory banks.

Bane's machinations are interesting but overall, "Evil Plans" is not a very good episode.  The writing is weak, much of Threepio's dialogue being particularly clumsy.  Obviously, this droid pair are essential to the Star Wars saga.  Artoo is a frequent plot device and Threepio provides comic relief and translation, an underappreciated element of any science fiction universe.  But Clone Wars stories fall flat when they rely too heavily on the droids as protagonists.

However, there was some nice Coruscant world-building this week.  Bane's droid 360 separates Threepio and Artoo by convincing the latter to visit the Droid Spa.  Artoo enjoys an oil bath and de-carbonization buffing while his friend is tortured for information by Bane.  The spa attendants SN-D1 and BO-N1, droids themselves, are both voiced by Angelique Perrin.
SN-D1 via Wookieepedia
BO-N1 via Wookieepedia
Perrin was born in Brooklyn, New York, though she was raised in Greensboro, North Carolina.  In addition to her acting, she has done extensive work as a radio announcer in Los Angeles.  Perrin is also the voice of Adi Gallia.  She performed in seven Clone Wars episodes overall.
via Behind The Voice Actors
If you would care to join us for all or part of our travels, sign on to the list below.  Please visit the other participants today.  Next week: "Hunt for Ziro."

 

8 comments:

  1. When I watched this one my mind was wandering and in fact I had to think twice if I had seen this. Not sure why I was falling asleep so possibly I was tired ?

    cheers, parsnip and thehamish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a while since an episode really grabbed me.

      Delete
  2. While I was watching it, I was thinking, "Man, Squid isn't going to like this one very much."
    I really have a difficult time with the idea that Bane was just waiting around to catch the droids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does seem quite the passive approach by his standards.

      Delete
  3. Aw. Though I don't really watch this myself but it's interesting reading about it here.

    ReplyDelete