Wednesday, April 26, 2017

On the Coffee Table: Yasser Seirawan

Title: Winning Chess Tactics
Author: Yasser Seirawan with Jeremy Silman
via Amazon
It was through playing chess that I first learned the difference between a strategy and a tactic.  A strategy is a broad plan of action designed to gain a long-term advantage: controlling the middle of the board, for instance.  A tactic is an action intended for short-term gain: forking the king and queen with a knight.  Naturally, the two ideas are closely related and, in fact, often employed in concert but the distinction is important.

Tactics are my greatest weakness as a chess player.  I am good at setting up strong positions (strategic play) but I am not good at seeing the tactical possibilities that will lead to victory.  Even more problematic, I tend to be vulnerable to tactics employed by my opponents.  If I'm ever going to progress as a player, this is the part of my game that needs shoring up.

The Winning Chess series is written by Yasser Seirawan, a Syrian-born U.S. chess champion.  His book on tactics covers all the tricks: forks, pins, skewers, deflections, etc.  He also profiles several of the great tacticians of chess history: Alekhine, Tal and Kasparov among others.  He includes full transcriptions of some of their most famous games, too.  This was my second time reading the book.  It's all fascinating but I think I'll need to refer back to it often for it to help my game.

If you'd care for a game, I'm ikaspiel at Chess.com.  My current rating is 1246.  I hope to improve that in time for my next chess post!

4 comments:

  1. Or, to put it in other terms, in Magic, strategy is how you build your deck; tactics is how you play your cards.

    Sorry, I abandoned chess at a fairly young age (mostly due to having no one willing to play me until I was too old to care anymore), but you do make me kind of want to go try out that site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magic - I like the game. My family has shown zero interest so I don't play.

      Delete
  2. Ha! Now I know. I learned the difference between strategy and tactic today!

    ReplyDelete