Friday, June 23, 2017

Squid Mixes: Italian Soda

Left to right: grapefruit, raspberry and almond
I had simple desires for Father's Day this year.  I wanted to watch a movie ("Ferris Beuller, you're my hero.").  I wanted to play games.  I wanted to go for a walk.  I wanted to mix drinks.

Round one was non-alcoholic, of course, so my daughter could enjoy it, too.  While we had some Torani syrups in the house, the supply was running low so a Saturday trip to the store was in order.  Unfortunately, that adventure was disappointing.  The Torani site's store locator sent me to Price Chopper.  I was hoping for the vast array one sees on a shelf behind the counter at a great coffeehouse:  lychee, blood orange, passion fruit, etc.  Unfortunately, PC's modest selection catered to more predictable tastes: vanilla, hazelnut, caramel and raspberry.  We have gotten more exciting flavors in the past, though always through mail order.  I guess that's what I'll need to do in the future.  We were low on raspberry so the trip wasn't a total loss.

Yes, I know I could make my own and I have in the past but that requires more effort than I was looking for on Father's Day.  Plus, the bottled variety is more shelf-stable.  That probably speaks to icky chemicals but I can live with it.

Italian soda is actually an American invention, first introduced in San Francisco in 1925.  I got my recipe from The New York Bartender's Guide.  They turned out well, though not quite as sweet as I would have liked.  Now, I seem to recall that when I've made them before, I have used 1.5 oz of syrup rather than the 1 in the recipe.  I'll have to remember that for next time.  Mind you, they still hit the spot in our recent sweltering heat.  Plus, they're pretty.

10 comments:

  1. Not as sweet? Torani syrups always strike me as -too- sweet.

    I was at a softball tournament with my daughter all of father's day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My housemates didn't complain so perhaps it was alright by them.

      Delete
  2. ummmm this looks and sound terrific. So pretty.
    I have never tried them. I see the Torani all the time at Cost Plus but I just do not know how to use them.

    cheers, parsnip and thehamish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So easy: 1 oz of syrup over ice, top off with seltzer.

      Delete
  3. Would you mind sending me the non-alcoholic recipe? I'd love to try my hand making a soda! I always love them.

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gladly! I will leave a comment on your blog with the crazy simple recipe.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you had a great Father's Day doing exactly what you wanted. The soda sounds good. I made my own soda only once- when I was in Girl Scouts growing up. It was a lot of fun. I do remember it being sweet. I had no idea Italian soda was a US invention. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo~ I remember LOVING Italian soda as a kid. For some reason it never occurred to me that I could just go make it.

    ReplyDelete