Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Squid Mixes: Mary Pickford

The Mary Pickford is a Prohibition Era cocktail combining light rum, Maraschino liqueur, pineapple juice and grenadine.  It's pleasant, quite fruity.  The pineapple is the dominant flavor, despite being in equal parts with the rum.  I got my recipe from The New York Bartender's Guide
via Wikipedia
The drink is named after the famous Canadian-American film actress.  She was one of the biggest stars of the silent era, one of the founders of United Artists and winner of the second ever Academy Award for Best Actress.  The drink was created for her at the Hotel Nacional de Cuba in Havana.

10 comments:

  1. I need to get some pictures of our liquors taken. The blackberry tastes almost like a Popsicle. A melted popsicle, but still a popsicle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very tasty, love the foam on top and it looks very pretty.
    Happy to see a cat in your drink post again, although not your little princess.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea a drink was named after this amazing actress and pioneer studio head who knew her money. No head of the studio liked to work with her because they always gave in to her demands. I have to mark this drink down

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds perfect for Havana, I think the grenadine and pineapple would be a bit sweet for me. Mary Pickford has the right kind of strength though, plus great ringlets and a shoulder cat :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are fantastic ringlets!

      This is not a drink I'd go out of my way to order but it is pleasant. As much as I love fruit juices, they are generally not what I want out of a cocktail.

      Delete
  5. I love fruit juices in my cocktail and would love to try this mix!
    Wishing a happy thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like pineapple, it's quite yummy.

      Happy Thanksgiving to you, too, Nas!

      Delete