Friday, March 23, 2018

A Window Above: Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters

Song: "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters"
Writers: Elton John and Bernie Taupin
Album: Honky Château
Original Release: May 19, 1972

New York City was my landing spot in the late '90s after two amazing years in Japan.  Moving there was actually one of the crazier decisions of my life.  I'd never even visited before making the choice.  It had a few important draws: I already had friends in the area so I wouldn't have to work too hard at building my social network.  Also, the public transportation system is excellent which meant I could manage without a car.  New York is also, of course, the performing arts capital of the world so as a young musician, the city had many adventures on offer.

At first, the novelty of a new place was exciting but the city definitely wore on me over time.  For anyone who has never experienced it, reverse culture shock can be absolutely brutal, far worse than initial culture shock.  There were horrible moments when I didn't feel I truly belonged in either place.  And in many ways, I was culture shocking with New York at the same time - not fun.  I probably would have been better off going home to Maryland to re-acclimate before heading off on the next adventure.

By the time we left the New York/New Jersey area four years later, I'd had more than enough.  But you'll notice that in the previous sentence, I used we rather than I in the dependent clause.  New York, you see, is where I met my wife.  So while my stay in town was not always easy, it was essential.

No song in the world better encapsulates my own feelings about the big city than "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters."  By the end, I hated the place.  But the people who made up my life there were wonderful, my wife best of all.  It wasn't a great place to live for me but it was the perfect place to fall in love.



There is a bit more to the song, of course.  In time, the narrator finds his footing and a determination to make his own way.  It is one of the more emotionally direct of Taupin's lyrics.  Sir Elton is in top form, too.  No pianist in the world gets so much out of a simple chord change.


8 comments:

  1. Sounds like an amazing move to a new city!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was in many ways. I am glad for the experience, and not just for the obvious tangible benefit.

      Delete
  2. Happy you had friends in NY. I have visited there but as much as it is fun, I need the open spaces and green.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I ever would have made that particular leap if I didn't have friends there. Even knowing people, it can be a very lonely city.

      And yes, I also need the green, which is exactly why we live where we do now.

      Delete
  3. I like going into the city every now and then- but it is too crowded and busy for me on a regular basis.

    Sounds like you moved there and then out of there at the right times. ;) Glad you fell in love there and took away something very special.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that song and how cool it ties into how you and your wife met. It's amazing how many essential experiences we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And amazing how much of life hinges on what were really a small number of decisions.

      Delete