Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Food for the Occasion: Championship Sunday

This year, momentous events in each of my two favorite sports happened on the same day: the Wimbledon men's singles final and the World Cup final.  In fact, they overlapped a bit, the tennis beginning two hours earlier and not quite finishing in time for the soccer to begin.  I planned and prepared our mid-day meal with the two events as theme.  First, strawberries and cream for Wimbledon, then a Continental lunch platter in honor of France and Croatia.

The only part of the meal I technically "made" was the cream for the strawberries.  My wife found a recipe for Mock Devonshire Clotted Cream at RecipeSource.  Thankfully, it's a simple concoction easily thrown together in a few minutes.  The real deal is a multi-step process over multiple days.  It tasted yummy - in fact, too good to remember to take a photo before it was all gone.
I did remember a photo for the lunch platter (above): salami, baguette, sardines, crackers, gherkins (unfortunately sweet rather than dill) and more strawberries.

For the record, my rooting interests lost in both events.  The food was nice, though.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like the food was so good it didn't stick around to be photographed. :) Your lunch platter looks tasty. How fun for you that two of your favorite sports events took place in the same day. I was hoping Nadal would win- but it wasn't his day (and night).
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadal just won Toronto so he should go into the US Open as one of the favorites. Tough to repeat, though.

      Delete
  2. My wife just made a strawberry fool (foyle) for a friend's midsummer Shakespeare party. We didn't have gooseberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I've ever had gooseberries. Strawberry fool sounds good, though.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I haven't had gooseberries, either, or even seen any other than pictures.
      It was quite good. I mean, how can you beat strawberries and cream variations?

      Delete