Friday, August 17, 2018

A Window Above: A Natural Woman

Song: "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman"
Writers: Gerry Goffin, Carole King and Jerry Wexler
Original Release: September 1967
Original Performer: Aretha Franklin



Where do you even begin?

I had a completely different post lined up for today but with Aretha Franklin's passing, what else could I do?  I am simply crushed.  76 years is a long life but pancreatic cancer is a terrible way to go.  Queen of Soul.  20 #1 R&B singles.  18 Grammys.  75 million records sold.

Never met a show she couldn't steal.  She stood in for Luciano Pavarotti when the tenor couldn't make the gig.  She sang at the inauguration of the first Black President because of course she did.  Why ask anyone else?  Had the best hat, too.

The best.  What more can you say?  She was the best!



Good luck watching this one without crying...



Aretha Franklin, 1942-2018

The Queen is dead.  Long live the Queen.


8 comments:

  1. This makes my heart hurt.
    She was a great lady.

    cheers, parsnip and badger

    ReplyDelete
  2. The greatest. The world has lost a powerful presence. Thank goodness for the body of work she has left behind. Future generations will marvel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been able to think of suitable words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one has really socked it to me. I couldn't tell my daughter the news without breaking up. This feels like a big deal in a way that a lot of the others haven't. A great spirit has left us.

      But without question, hers is a life well worth celebrating.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful tribute to an amazing woman. She was a tremendous talent. Her voice has always moved me.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people should be allowed to live forever. She was a national treasure.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks. Still feeling the loss a week later. This one may take me a while.

      Delete