Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Squid Mixes: Little Princess

In working through a book like The New York Bartender's Guide, one quickly catches on to the fact that a slight change in recipe - a switch from light to dark rum, the presence or absence of bitters, even a variation in garnish - can result in a name change.  The most frequent such tweak is a change in proportions.  Case in point: according to the guide, 6 parts light rum to 2 parts sweet vermouth is a Poker Cocktail whereas 4:2 of the same ingredients is a Little Princess.  Regarding why one is called by the one name and the other another, I can find no information.  It is just so.

We decided to try the Little Princess, figuring that if we decided what it really needs is more rum, we could try the Poker Cocktail.  As it turns out, less rum is just fine.  In fact, with less one can truly appreciate the vermouth as more than mere sweetener.

11 comments:

  1. I need to go buy some vermouth so that I can try some of these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally picked up some Vermouth and made a Little Princess. I'm still deciding what I think...

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure I'd do it again but it's a good drink to know, especially for appreciating the vermouth.

      Delete
    3. Speaking of the vermouth, what kind do you use?
      My wife thinks what I picked up may not have been high enough quality. Which is probably true, but it was all Safeway had.
      Yeah, I know; I bought it at Safeway.

      Delete
    4. Okay, most important thing: know that there are two kinds of vermouth, sweet and dry. Be sure you're getting the right one. For sweet, I like Marini & Rossi Rosso. I don't have a brand loyalty to a dry vermouth yet. I've got Gambarelli & Davitto Extra Dry in the cabinet right now and it works just fine.

      The brands I've seen available here are all about in the same price range.

      Delete
  2. awwww did your Little Princess like the Little Princess ?

    cheers, parsnip and badger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good to me...now I have to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did the cat like the drink? :)

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete