Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Squid Mixes: Ward Eight

A Ward Eight combines rye, lemon juice, orange juice and grenadine.  I got my recipe from Eric Felten's How Was Your Drink?  It is named for a neighborhood in West End Boston.

This drink is more exciting than the Bronx Cocktail from a couple weeks ago (see here) even though this one could just as easily be described as an OJ with stuff in it.  The "stuff" brings more flavor this time and, of course, proportions matter.  The orange and lemon are in equal parts and the combination definitely has more tang than orange alone. 

10 comments:

  1. I haven't done anything with rye, yet.
    I don't think I've even ever had any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old Overholt is our current brand of choice, though I plan to explore further soon.

      Delete
  2. I like rye and always keep a bottle around, but drink it straight.

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love whiskey straight... Drink responsibly, folks!

      Delete
  3. I love the happy way this drink looks !
    parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet you can give great parties. "What would you like to drink?"
    Guest gives you the name of some strange drink. "Coming right up," you say.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janie, I wish I were that good. For parties, in as much as we ever have them, I prefer to be prepared ahead of time. I believe in pitchers. Felten actually has some solid advice along those lines.

      Delete