Friday, July 19, 2019

A Window Above: True

Song: "True"
Writer: Gary Kemp
Original Release: February 28, 1983
Band: Spandau Ballet
Album: True



Pretty sure I first heard "True" in the school dance scene in the John Hughes classic Sixteen Candles.  It kicks off with one of the all-time great intro hooks.  You've also got to admire lyrics that pay tribute to both Marvin Gaye and Vladimir Nabakov.  "Seaside arms" is a Lolita reference.  "True" was by far Spandau Ballet's biggest hit, topping the British charts for four weeks, climbing to #4 in the US.

Want to hear all of the songs I have featured in a convenient playlist?

Enjoy: A Window Above

What are you listening to these days?

11 comments:

  1. "I bought a ticket to the world."
    What a great line.
    It's a cheesy song and they are SO 80s (you can see Rick Astley in there), but I still like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, hey, I responded to your Spider-Man comment.
      And my two-part Hamilton review is up.

      Delete
  2. It's funny how some songs evolve into shorthand for a particular kind of emotional beat. This one seems to have become the cue for "love at first sight." (See also "Sky High")

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful song!

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Songs scaffold from a source and build up.

    I have been listening to Creedence Clearwater. Wish they were touring in a city within driving distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw that Fogerty is touring! 50th anniversary...

      Delete