Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Squid Cooks: Broiled Boneless Chicken with Herbs


This is a variation on the Broiled Boneless Chicken recipe (see here) from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything: The Basics.  My herb of choice was oregano.  To be honest, I don't feel it added much - either I didn't use enough, I didn't rub enough or it just doesn't make much difference.  The result was still fine, just not very exciting.

This is still a good starting point dish, I think.  It's quick.  It's easy.  Chicken breasts are a relatively healthy meat choice.  In the recipe's "Learn More" section, Bittman refers the reader back to the "Building Flavor" pages - may be well worth exploring for this and other dishes, especially my stir-fries which could do with some pizzazz. 


Squid on the Vine

Château Vrai Caillou, Red Bordeaux Blend 2018
A little spice (high alcohol)
Bitter
Astringent
Leggy (that refers to those little rivulets that run down the class when you tip it - reflects sugar content) but not so sweet, interestingly
Darker side of medium purple
Wife: "Not a lot of notes to it."
My rating: 8.0

15 comments:

  1. The chicken looks yummy. I'm hungry.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I no longer eat meat- the old me would have enjoyed this recipe. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you use JUST oregano?
    It is kind of a mild spice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the one hand, I can see trying something else. On the other hand, this recipe isn't doing much for me in general. It might be a good building block dish but I'm not sure how much I care to invest in it on its own.

      Delete
    2. Chicken breast is difficult. It doesn't have much flavor and the oregano doesn't help it out much.

      Delete
    3. Right. I'll keep it in the rotation for now.

      Delete
    4. Mostly, these days, I use chicken thighs. I know there has been this long running thing about how chicken breasts are all healthy and stuff but, honestly, I think people think that BECAUSE they are so bland and dry. The difference between light and dark meat is fairly insignificant.
      or try cooking your breasts on the bone instead of off. That always helps.

      Delete