Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Squid Mixes: Eeyore's Requiem

 
Yes, it's named after the donkey in Winnie-the-Pooh.  The drink was created by Toby Maloney who describes Eeyore as "the most bitter character in literature."  My recipe - from David Lebovitz - combines Campari, dry vermouth, gin, Cynar, Frenet-Branca, orange bitters and orange twist.  That's a lot of bitter ingredients for one drink!

I would be interested to drink this one side-by-side with a Negroni (see here).  I'm not sure they're all that different in terms of flavor - the Eeyore essentially being a Negroni with more stuff in it (though switching out the sweet vermouth for dry).  My guess is the Eeyore might have some extra citrus hints but the Campari dominates both intensely bitter drinks.  At least to my mind, a drink involving three ingredients wins out over a similar one involving six, especially when two of the extras - the Cynar and the Frenet-Branca - are definitely on the more exotic side and thus less dynamic for use in other cocktails.


Squid on the Vine

Another wine class this week.  Last week, it was whites.  This week, reds...

Arnot-Roberts, El Dorado Gamay Noir 2018
Medium color, hits of yellow
Aroma: delicate side of medium; raspberries, jammy, vanilla, bubblegum
Drier than it smells
Medium+ acidity
Medium tannin
My rating: 8.2

Château Haut-Segottes, Saint-Émilion Grand Cru Red Brdeaux Blend 2016
Deeper in color
Medium aroma: more earthy, wet leaves
Dry
Medium acidity
Medium+ tannin
My rating: 8.0

Benevelli Piero, Langhe Nebbiolo 2018
Delicate aroma: raspberry, strawberry, raisins, olive
Dry
High tannin
High acidityMy rating: 8.0

Another red, not part of the class...
Lezaun, Navarra Red Blend 2018
High tannin
My Rating: 8.0

12 comments:

  1. Hm. I'd like to try it, but I'm not going to make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try a Negroni first. If you decide it could use a touch more orange flavor, try stumping your bartender with Eeyore's Requiem.

      Delete
    2. I suppose I need to find a bartender.
      :P

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an interesting drink. I love Eeyore from Pooh - I might have to try making a virgin Eeyore. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A virgin Eeyore... Even the virgin Negroni recipes I'm finding tend to involve rather specialized ingredients. If you like bitter, I'd stick to cranberry juice and skip the fuss.

      Delete
  3. I'd try it in honor of Eeyore!

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Eeyore sounds interesting! I am curious and would give it a try. Thanks for sharing! :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete