Friday, September 15, 2017

Squid Mixes: Negroni


The Negroni is one of my wife's favorite cocktails.  My recipe is from The New York Bartender's Guide: gin, Campari and sweet vermouth in 4:2:1 proportion.  The garnish is an orange twist - tough to see in the photo but it's in there.  The main difference between this and the old pal cocktail I made earlier this summer (see here) is the use of gin rather than rye.  The flavor is quite similar.

The drink's origins are unclear but probably Florence in around 1919.  The origin of the name, however, is well-documented.  The Negroni family produced a ready-made version of the drink.  So Negroni, like Campari itself, is a brand name and thus generally capitalized.

9 comments:

  1. I don't even know what Campari is or how it tastes but I'll take gin any day over rye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Campari is quite bitter. If you're okay with that, you'd probably enjoy a Negroni.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. If you're new to Campari, I think a Campari soda is probably a safer place to start.

      Delete
  3. I saw the name and said... Campari !
    Another one of my favorites. I love Negroni. When I could drink everyone only drank wine or scotch. Now that I have a son who loves to make mixed drinks... I can not drink !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wait a second... forget the orange peel where is the kitty ?

      Delete
    2. It's our model's week off. She's off sipping her own fruity cocktail in a hammock in the tropics. I am hopeful she'll be able to squeeze us into her busy schedule upon her return.

      Delete
    3. Well she better the photo lacks a certain Je ne sais quoi.

      Delete
    4. We'll talk to her agent and see what we can work out...

      Delete