Friday, June 19, 2020

Star Trek: The Icarus Factor

Episode: "The Icarus Factor"
Series: Star Trek: The Next Generation
Season 2, Episode 14
Original Air Date: April 24, 1989
The Icarus Factor (episode) | Memory Alpha | Fandom
via Memory Alpha
Riker has a big decision to make.  He has been offered command of the Aries.  As if that weren't enough, his estranged father Kyle is sent to give him a briefing on the ship's mission.  Meanwhile, Worf is grumpy.  It's the 10th anniversary of his Rite of Ascension and his disconnection from his Klingon heritage is hitting him hard.

I actually liked this episode a lot.  The Will-Kyle troubles are resolved far too easily at the last minute but otherwise, it offers great development for several characters: Will and Worf certainly but also for Dr. Pulaski, whose romantic past with Kyle is revealed, and Troi who admits to difficult feelings regarding Will's proposed departure.  The parallels between the two stories are clearly evident as is the implied father-figure Will sees in Picard that he no longer does in his own dad.  One can feel the relationship lines aboard the Enterprise settling a bit.

Oh, and spoiler: Riker stays.  However, his proposed new ship doesn't blow up this time!

Acting Notes

Image result for mitchell ryan
via Wikipedia

Mitchell Ryan (Kyle Riker) was born January 11, 1934 in Cincinnati.  He is a war veteran, serving in the Navy in Korea.  Over a half-century career, his most famous roles were as Burke Devlin in the '60s soap opera Dark Shadows, Greg's father Edward on Dharma & Greg and General McAllister in the original Lethal Weapon film.  His was a career compromised by alcoholism, a disease which got him fired from Dark Shadows.  He was in better shape by the late '80s, though, and was an early candidate for the role of Captain Picard.

8 comments:

  1. You know I've mentioned going back and re-watching, then finishing, TNG but, now, after Discovery, I don't think I want to go back and watch any of the old Star Trek series. Discovery's ongoing narrative is proving far superior to me than these old, episodic shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it. I'm prepared to make time, eventually, for all of the above. I know TNG pretty well. However, I don't know the spinoffs as well and I'm especially ignorant of DS9, generally considered the best one.

      Delete
  2. No-one could figure out what was bothering Worf if memory serves and it was Wesley the Enterprise nerd who figured it out. Haha I think Riker hated his dad even more when he realized he was winning with an illegal fencing move all these years... great episode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct!

      And, I think you're right about the fencing move...

      Delete
  3. This was an awesome episode. I'd watch it again.

    Mitchell Ryan appeared in all sorts of tv shows, liked him. Alcoholism has taken down many careets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The one story I would have loved to see would have been Will and Transporter Accident Thomas Riker have a family reunion with their dad.

    Maybe in the 24th century suddenly having another grown son is nothing big, but the philosophical compilations are huge.

    This is one second season episode I really didn't care about. Just a little too shallow for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten about Thomas Riker! I'll have to remember your point when/if we get to Season 6.

      Delete