Monday, June 22, 2020

Marvel Immersion Project: Strange Tales #145-146, The Avengers #89-91

This week, I say goodbye to Dr. Strange and move on to a quick tour with The Avengers, issues #89-97, a run known collectively as The Kree/Skrull War.  I have previously hinted (here, for instance) at my main gripe with the Avengers: way too many characters!  The group started with five founding members in 1963: Ant-Man, Wasp, Iron Man, Thor and Hulk.  Things got messy quickly.  Hank Pym switched from Ant-Man to Giant Man in issue #2 and Hulk quit.  Captain America joined in #4 and was granted founding member status.  By the time we get to our story, launched in 1971, the Avengers had seemingly become a catch-all to include the stars of discontinued series and any other character the Marvel creators couldn't put anywhere else.  I'd intended to begin my own reflection with a rundown of the roster at the time of #89 but even now, 49 years later in an age of thorough Wikis and numerous other reliable sources, figuring that out is maddeningly complicated.  Who was in?  Who was out?  Who had been in but had left?  Who had been invited but refused?  Who was included in the stories but not an official Avenger?  Nothing in the issue itself provides any clarity.  You get the characters you get for a given story.  Either you're already supposed to know the rest or it doesn't really matter.  Just shut up and enjoy the comic book, stupid!

That's not easy for me...

I will do my best to put my discomfort aside for now.


My Recent Reads

Strange Tales #145
Originally Published June 1, 1966
Writer: Stan Lee
Artist: Steve Ditko
  • Nemesis: Mr. Rasputin

Strange Tales #146
July 1, 1966
Writer: Lee
  • Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.
    • Artist: Jack Kirby
Advanced Idea Mechanics (Earth-616) | Marvel Database | Fandom
via Memory Alpha
    • Nemesis: A.I.M., Advanced Idea Mechanics, first appearance
  • Doctor Strange
    • Artist: Ditko.  This is his final Doctor Strange issue.
    • Nemesis: Dormammu
    • Includes appearances by both Eternity and Mordo.
Clea (Earth-616) | Marvel Database | Fandom
via Marvel Database
    • A mysterious woman has been aiding Strange in his struggle against Dormammu for nearly two years-worth of issues.  She finally gets a name: Clea.

The Avengers #89
June 10, 1971
Editor: Lee
Writer: Roy Thomas
Artist: Sal Buscema

Vision (Marvel Comics) - Wikipedia
Vision via Wikipedia
Rick Jones (character) - Wikipedia
Rick Jones via Wikipedia


  • Vision, Quicksilver, the Scarlet Witch and Rick Jones capture Captain Marvel.  Mar-vell doesn't realize it yet but the Avengers are actually trying to save him, and the world, from the radiation building up in his body.
Annihilus (Earth-616) | Marvel Database | Fandom
Annihilus via Marvel Database

  • Nemesis of all of the above: Annihilus
Ronan the Accuser - Wikipedia
Ronan via Wikipedia
  • We see trouble brewing in the Kree world.  Ronan the Accuser has sent a Kree Sentry to Earth in order to kill Captain Marvel.
Kree Sentries | Marvel Database | Fandom
via Marvel Database


The Avengers #90
July 10, 1971
Lee/Thomas/Buscema
  • After battling the Kree Sentry, the Avengers head to the Arctic, responding to a call for help from the Pyms.
Avengers Vol 1 28 | Marvel Database | Fandom
via Marvel Database
Wasp (comics) - Wikipedia
Wasp via Wikipedia
Henry Pym (Earth-8096) | Marvel Database | Fandom
Yellowjacket via Marvel Database
  • Avengers added to the mix: Goliath, Wasp and Yellowjacket
Captain America - Wikipedia
via Wikipedia
  • Avengers also featured, though briefly: Captain America, Thor, Iron Man
Carol Danvers - Wikipedia
via Wikipedia
  • Also featured: Carol Danvers (pre-Ms. Marvel)

The Avengers #91
August 10, 1971
Lee/Thomas/Buscema
  • Ronan reveals his plan: to reduce all humans to their pre-historic, Neanderthal state.  Hank Pym (Yellowjacket) has already fallen victim.
  • Ronan receives word from the Kree galaxy that the Skrulls have attacked, leading him to abandon his plans for Earth.
  • After Ronan leaves, all, including Pym, revert back to normal.

6 comments:

  1. A.I.M., Advanced Idea Mechanics

    When I saw that picture, my first thought was the animated G.I. Joe cartoons and the Cobra bad guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have an incredible collection of these books. I never got into reading comics that weren't funny.

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, if only I had a collection of vintage comics meticulously stored in a sealed vaulted! That would be a fantastic retirement plan supplement.

      Instead, I read digital comics via Marvel Unlimited. Even at 1960s prices, I expect I've already gotten my money's worth.

      I, too, was devoted the "funnies" as a child. I grew up with the Washington Post on the breakfast table and at the time, it boasted the largest comics section in the English language - probably still true. The broader world of comics has been a middle age hobby for me.

      Delete
  3. Wait till some of the X-Man start joining, too.
    That was a thing I could never quite get behind.
    But, you know, also: The West Coast Avengers.

    ReplyDelete