Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Squid Eats: Kate's Food Truck

Food trucks, in case you haven't noticed, are very in these days.  In Vermont, and I imagine other northern regions, they generally run seasonally for obvious weather-related reasons.  Kate's Food Truck in Jericho is a shade fancier than it sounds.  The "truck" is a more permanent structure than the name implies.  Kate's opened just a few years ago with simple offerings: burgers, hot dogs, fries and ice cream.  We'd gotten take out once (poutine, sadly, doesn't travel well by car) but I'd never actually eaten a proper meal there until this past weekend.

My BYO (Build Your Own) Burger was fine.  The bigger treat was my maple milkshake.  Beyond the food, Kate's is selling a nostalgic atmosphere with '50s music blaring.  Lots of kids running around, dogs welcome.  The perfect place to stop after the little league game.  I did spot one early teen "date" - just adorable.  Service is extra friendly.

The food is nothing thrilling but I'm still rooting for Kate's to survive.  There's competition down the street from the comparable and eternal Joe's Snack Bar (great ice cream, inferior food otherwise).  Fortunately, both spots were hopping on a sunny, springtime Saturday - plenty enough business for everybody.

6 comments:

  1. Savannah was known for their food trucks and they really came in handy after Hurricane Matthew. I like the idea of them, more variety. Those dogs look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never considered their usefulness in a natural disaster situation! That's cool.

      Delete
  2. Our food trucks are year round and some of them offer high quality food. The best tacos around here (or in Eureka at one of their local food trucks) are from food trucks, once in particular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mean to disparage them entirely. We have some nice ones, too - in the summer.

      Delete
  3. I am just not a lover of the food truck because of trying to open my purse and pay for the meal while balancing everything on my knee...nah. I do applaud her for having this business and being nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the practical considerations can be awkward. And somehow I always forget napkins.

      Delete