Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Squid Mixes: Scofflaw Cocktail


A Scofflaw Cocktail combines rye (or bourbon), dry vermouth, lemon juice, grenadine and orange bitters. I got my recipe from The Joy of Mixology by Gary Regan.  The original was created by Jock, a bartender at Harry's New York Bar in Paris in 1924.  I like whiskey drinks and my wife likes lemon drinks so such cocktails as the Scofflaw are good to have in the repertoire.  The lemon dominates the flavor but there's still some of that whiskey warmth.  I think a little more sugar would be good.  The recipe suggests 1 or 2 dashes of grenadine.  I went with 1.  If I were to do it again, I'd try it with 2.

Regan's book is good for many reasons.  He writes wonderful blurbs for his drinks.  The most interesting takeaway for the Scofflaw is the history of the word itself.  Scofflaw was the winner of a 1923 contest to come up with the best word to describe "a lawless drinker of illegally made or illegally obtained liquor."  The prize was $200.

4 comments:

  1. I used to love a touch of lemon in my drinks, but now I can't drink alcoholic beverages for health reasons. The cat is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemon is nice in non-alcoholic drinks, too, I think.

      Delete
  2. I tend to like a hint of lemon in many drinks. This drink sounds interesting and tasty. Love the kitty looking at the drink. I can imagine his thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cat has always been most obliging when it comes to photos - unusual, to be sure.

      Delete