Sunday, May 23, 2010

Roland Garros Day 1: Sunday Start

Curtain Call

Player: Somdev Devvarman
Nation: India
Age: 25
Current Ranking: 108
Tour Page
Today's Result: loss to Marco Chiudinelli (Switzerland) in five sets

Blogger's Edit Note: This is a change from my initial post in which I gave the Curtain Call to Shuai Zhang of China. I mean no disrespect to Ms. Zhang. It's my own fault - I completely forgot about the guys. I must be fair and acknowledge Mr. Devvarman's far superior first round showing.

This was Devvarman's first Roland Garros and he made a very respectable showing, finally going down 6-3 in the fifth. He is my first return honoree. He won a Curtain Call for his performance at the US Open as well.

I am so glad for the Sunday start. The French Open is my weekends only Slam. During the week, the matches are over by the time I get home from work. Wimbledon would present similar problems if not for the fact that I am a teacher and get the summers off, thank goodness. I suppose I could catch a few glimpses in the morning over breakfast - a more appealing option if the rest of the family enjoyed watching more.

It's a beautiful day in northwest Vermont. Grilling season begins at our house this evening - pork tenderloin.

No comments:

Post a Comment