Tuesday, September 13, 2011

My Football Fantasy: Season #3

College League: Squid wins, 68.36-55.47 (1-0 overall, 6th place out of 12 teams)
Vermont League: Squid loses, 110.02-76.78 (0-1 overall, 11th place out of 12)
My Player of the Week: Kenny Britt (Wide Receiver, Titans) with 5 receptions for 136 yards and two touchdowns plus one solo tackle


Photo via National Football Authority

The NFL season kicked off this past weekend and with it, my third year in fantasy football. I am in the same two leagues as last year with essentially the same set up for each. I am now the commissioner of both leagues. In the college league, they rotate each year. I intend to use my pulpit to initiate some discussions about the long-term parameters of the league, perhaps even to write up a league constitution. We're mostly in discussion stage at the moment, but it's a league filled with people with clearly strong feelings but nothing permanent in writing. So the league is essentially reinvented each year. I'd like to establish some order to the proceedings. It's a tall order but it can be done!

I made only one minor change to the college league parameters: the elimination of divisions. I don't like the way Yahoo! uses - or, more to the point, ignores - divisions when it sets the league schedule. So, why bother?

The Vermont league parameters are exactly the same this year. Due to scheduling issues, I had to auto-draft in that league this year - a first for me. Who knows? If I have a better season, I might stick with it.

I'm also trying to apply my very successful fantasy baseball strategy to football this year. It's admittedly difficult to discuss without divulging too many specifics but the dynamics of individual positions are very different in football. This, along with the increased prevalence and severity of injuries, complicates things. It's impossible to judge from one week. If I improve on my final standing in both leagues, I'll know I'm on to something.

No comments:

Post a Comment