Sunday, November 16, 2014

Family Movie Night: Big Hero 6

Title: Big Hero 6
Directors: Don Hall and Chris Williams
Original Release: 2014
Choice: Purple Penguin's
My Overall Rating: 4 stars out of 5
via Wikipedia
Big Hero 6 opened in the United States just last weekend and debuted at the top of the box office rankings.   The film, inspired by the Marvel comic book superhero team of the same name, is Disney's 54th animated feature.  A sequel already seems inevitable.  Big Hero 7?  Hahahahaha...

Hiro Hamada is a 14-year-old robotics prodigy in the fictional San Fransokyo.  His world is turned upside-down when his older brother Tadashi is killed in a fire at an exhibition.  Tadashi, however, left behind an interesting legacy: Baymax, an inflatable personal health care robot who takes on Hiro's emotional well-being as his raison d'ĂȘtre.  Hiro organizes Tadashi's university pals into a posse to take down the evil entity Hiro believes killed his brother.


The movie is beautiful, even by Disney standards.  The highlight is the inside of the Stargate-esque inter-dimensional portal in the story's climactic scene.  Hiro's microbots are pretty impressive, too.  The end credits are a lot of fun - a welcome trend in the 21st century film industry.  The story is fairly predictable but it pushes all of the right emotional buttons for me.  The relationship between Hiro and Baymax is quite touching.  The scene when Hiro brings Baymax home while the robot's battery is running down has some nice ET parallels.  I'll admit, I didn't see the twist at the end coming.  I should have, but I didn't - most satisfying.

18 comments:

  1. I don't usually leap to see all the latest animated flix that come out - but this one looks like a winner! Will have to go see it when it's out here ... and on the $10 weekly special. ;)

    Thanks for a great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For as many movies as we watch, we go to the theater rarely. This one was worth it.

      Delete
  2. Okay, see, I don't know which twist you're talking about, so I evidently saw it coming and don't know what you're talking about because of that. You'll have to let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll have to take our grandson to this one. It's hard to keep him entertained for very long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big Hero 6 looks cute. My nephews would love it....I'll probably love it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That movie looks so good. I'll probably rent it from Redbox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saw it in 2D but the 3D version gets excellent reviews. If not for the girl, though, I might have waited for the small screen, too.

      Delete
  6. This movie looks amazing and this is one more reason to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like something my gang would watch, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have any kids- but this sounds like a winner for people of all ages. The graphics looks amazing and it sounds like the story is too! Can't wait to see it. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete