Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Star Trek: The Tholian Web

Episode: "The Tholian Web"
Series: Star Trek: The Original Series
Season 3, Episode 9
Original Air Date: November 15, 1968
via Wikipedia
The heart of Star Trek is the relationship between the three principal characters: First Officer Spock, Dr. McCoy and Captain Kirk, representing logic, emotion and judgment respectively.  "The Tholian Web" explores a pertinent quandary: what happens when Kirk and his stabilizing influence are removed?  With no one to weigh their frequently opposing viewpoints, can Spock and the Doc lead the crew and its mission effectively?

The story opens with the Enterprise in search of her sister ship, the USS Defiant.  Eventually, the ship is found but its entire crew is dead and the entire vessel seems to be winking in and out of existence.   Kirk is lost in a transporter malfunction and presumed dead.  Spock assumes command of the Enterprise, as is his duty, but not without abrupt and significant challenges from McCoy at every turn.  As if all of this weren't troubling enough, beings called the Tholians show up, demanding that our friends hightail it out of their territory.  Spock would be only happy to oblige if not for the slim hope that the captain might be saved.  He pleads with the Tholians to allow them more time but when the extension expires, the Tholians weave a lasery web around the Enterprise.

Fortunately, Kirk had planned for the possibility of his own untimely demise.  He left a recording for his two confidants to watch in which he advises each of the other's strengths and their need for each other.  His message is a fair summation of the moral/ethical landscape upon which the entire series is built.  Even more fortunate, Kirk is ultimately rescued from the parallel universe to which the transporter had sent him and the future of the franchise is saved.

*****
via Wikipedia
The voice of Loskene, the commander of the Tholians, was performed by Barbara Babcock, highly distorted.  Babcock was born February 27, 1937 in Fort Riley, Kansas.  Her father was an army general and, as a result, she spent much of her childhood in Tokyo while he was stationed in Japan.

Babcock has had a highly distinguished television career.  In 1981, she won an Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series as Grace Gardner on Hill Street Blues.  In 1993, she was nominated for another, this time for her supporting role on Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.  There have been big screen credits, too, including Day of the Devil Gun, Bang the Drum Slowly and Chosen Survivors.  She had six appearances on Trek's original series, four for voice work, two on camera.  She appeared on both "A Taste of Armageddon" and "Plato's Stepchildren."

18 comments:

  1. Ding-ding-ding! I remember this one (it seems that I have forgotten quite a few, so I have to celebrate a retained memory).

    The radically different personalities made this show. The episodes that focused on those differences are always some of the better story lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree. I've been composing a wrap up post internally and the relationship between the three principals will be central to it.

      Delete
  2. I think I sort of remember that one...
    I swear I'm going to get around to re-watching the series some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I don't think I saw this one.
    What a lovely photo of Barbara Babcock.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know that recording could be a way to bring Shatner back to the franchise. Maybe he creates a holographic version of himself like the Doctor from Voyager. I hope Abrams is reading this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I finish this series of posts, I should probably re-watch the Abrams movies. Unfortunately, I think now I'd be even more troubled by his liberties. Before, I liked the original series. Now, I'm invested!

      Delete
  5. The Tholians showed up a number of times in Enterprise, including during it Temporal Cold War arc and in the Mirror Universe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that one about the Temporal Cold War. As previously stated, I'm not a big fan of time travel in Trek but I do think the Temporal Cold War offers interesting spinoff series possibilities.

      Delete
  6. Barbara Babcock was a talented and lovely actress; I remember her in those other shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember her from Hill Street Blues. I never watched Dr. Quinn.

      Delete
  7. I remember this episode very well! I certainly appreciate your mention of Barbara Babcock, who was certainly prettier than Loskene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yes. She turned up the next week on Trek, too.

      Delete
  8. That sounds like another grew episode.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That picture of Babcock- just wow. Where are women like that nowadays. She is stunning.

    ReplyDelete