Sunday, December 14, 2014

On the Road: Essex Junction

It has been a rough week in Vermont.  Due to unusually wet and heavy snow, we have been without electricity at our house since Wednesday evening.  We are not alone.  Much of our town and others nearby are out, too.  For us, losing power is no small matter.  It means no heat and, worst of all, no water.  We're muddling through but it's been tough.  As I write this, we're sitting in the public library, checking the electric company's website periodically for updates.  They're promising most outages will be taken care of today - fingers crossed.

via The Essex
In desperation, we did take a quick vacation from our plight on Friday evening, checking into the Essex Resort & Spa for the night.  Actually, My Wife thought she was making the reservation for Saturday but got her dates mixed up.  Fortunately, we caught the mistake in time and set off to enjoy our evening.  We would have been crushed to arrive on Saturday only to find ourselves out of luck.

The inn is very nice.  We managed to get a decent deal given the late reservation but got a nice room nonetheless.  Most importantly, it had hot, running water.  Showers, bliss...  The room was clean, the food was decent and the service was adequate.  Truth be told, though, we all slept better in our own cold house on Saturday night.  Even so, the break was a good thing.

Just checked again.  Our earliest estimate for power is 6 pm tomorrow.  Sigh...

Have a good week, everyone.  Don't be shocked if I'm not ready for Trek on Wednesday.

16 comments:

  1. Hope your power comes back soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sally! It came back by the time I got home from work on Monday.

      Delete
  2. Yikes! We freak when our well's down for a day! You are definitely in my thoughts and I hope electricity is soon restored. In the mean time, enjoy the Essex. I will watch the next Trek and think of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My Goodness !
    Hope the power come son soon !
    Fingers Crossed.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  4. A night away can be nice even if the circumstances are not preferred. Hope you enjoyed your little getaway and I hope the power turns on soon! (cestlavie22)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely true. It's nice, though, when the night away is entirely by choice.

      Delete
  5. I like winter because it has the power to occasionally remind us, or at least try its best, that all those things we're trying to do maybe aren't all that important after all. The world isn't going anywhere, and for a change you don't have to, either. The electricity detox is pretty interesting, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few days removed from the ordeal, I'm better able to be philosophical about it. The hardest part was the waiting for life to get back to normal. I agree that New England can be humbling and that's not entirely a bad thing. Still, one should never take indoor plumbing for granted.

      Delete
  6. I can't imagine going through all that Squid but I'll be looking for Trek anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, I met my self-imposed deadline after all.

      Delete
  7. Oh, gosh! A Vermont winter without heating. Shudder to think.

    I hope the power goes on sooner than estimated!

    ReplyDelete