Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Clone Wars: Innocents of Ryloth

My friends and I are watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars.  Every Tuesday, we will be featuring an episode from the series which began in 2008 (as opposed to the one that started in 2003).  All are welcome to join us for all or parts of the fun.

Episode: "Innocents of Ryloth"
Series: Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Season 1, Episode 20
Original Air Date: March 6, 2009
via Wookieepedia
This week's episode is the second in the Ryloth story arc.  It's a Why We Fight narrative.   The brutality of the Separatist occupation of Ryloth is laid plain.  Native Twi'leks are being held captive as a living shield to protect the proton cannons from attack.

The story takes a more personal turn when Waxer and Boil, two clone troopers dispatched as scouts, encounter Numa, a Twi'lek orphan girl.  Up until that moment, the clones have a patronizing and dismissive view of the local populace, referring to them as "tail-heads."  But Numa puts a face to the Twi'lek struggle, changing their attitudes considerably.  Once again, the series drifts away from comfortable Star Wars territory towards war movie turf.  That's never really been my genre at all but so far, at least, that seems to be where The Clone Wars works best, in my opinion.
via Wookieepedia
Mace Windu makes an appearance in this episode.  I'd long assumed the character was created as an excuse to cast Samuel L. Jackson in The Phantom Menace but the name, at least, goes back to the earliest concept drafts for the original movie.  Windu is the only Star Wars character with a purple lightsaber - Jackson's request.  In the movies, the letters "BMF" appear on the blade handle, a tribute to Jackson's character in Pulp Fiction.
via Final Destination Wiki
In The Clone Wars, Mace Windu is voiced by Terrence Carson.  Carson was born November 19, 1958 in Chicago.  He attended the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Much of Carson's early stage work was in musicals: The Wiz, Dreamgirls and Ain't Misbehavin'.  His best-known live action role was Kyle Barker on the sitcom Living Single.  In 2002, he released a jazz/funk album entitled Truth

If you would care to join us for all or part of our travels, sign on to the list below.  Please visit the other participants today.  Next week: "Liberty on Ryloth."

 

20 comments:

  1. Ah, I'll be talking about Windu in next week's post.
    I liked this episode for the personal take from the clones, which are some of the episodes I like most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we near the end of the first season, I am coming around to the same line of thinking. The clones themselves are the heart and soul of this series. I wouldn't have expected that going in.

      Delete
  2. I don't watch but I am enjoying reading your reviews.
    I must look up if this is streaming on Netflix.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Armchair. In Brisbane they've just begun showing a Star Wars film every Saturday night on tv. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So interesting to visit here, and learn about the newer Clone Wars. The 2003 was a dud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww... I really like the 2003 series. It would be worth exploring on its own terms at some point.

      Delete
  5. I've often wondered if Mace Windu truly died. Sure, it appeared he died. But you know how it goes in the movies and comics, with no body, the person isn't really dead. I wonder if I'm the only one who's ever thought that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting point. After all, how many times has Captain America died?

      Delete
  6. I enjoy coming here and reading your reviews and views!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm actually starting to watch these, though I feel behind the times. Then again, my sons yak and try to explain it while the characters are talking....meh....

    Thanks, Squidman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! I hope you will share your thoughts and theirs from time to time.

      Delete
  8. Sounds interesting. I will watch it now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always interesting to read your thoughts on this series. I really like the "about the actor' section you do at the end. I learn so much! Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy that part, too. It's important to remember there are real, working humans behind the shows we watch.

      Delete
  10. My son and I enjoyed Clone Wars, and are now liking Star Wars Rebels. They dropped a hint in the latest one that one of the main characters might just be the little girl from this episode, now grown up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen Rebels yet. Maybe once I'm done with this one.

      Delete