Friday, September 22, 2017

Squid Mixes: Havana Club

We are planning to spend Thanksgiving with the English Prof and the Playwright.  A nautical theme is in the works so I have been experimenting with rum-based cocktails in anticipation.  I got this recipe from The New York Bartender's Guide: light rum and dry vermouth in 6:1 proportion.  It is essentially a martini with rum instead of gin, skip the olive.  I'm assuming it was named for Havana Club rum, a Cuban brand and one of the best selling rums in the world, though not in the United States.  Because of the trade embargo, Havana Club has been banned in the States since 1960.  Rest easy.  I used Bacardi.

I thought it was alright but my wife didn't care for it.  "Too rummy," she said, "and a bit oily."  I guess that tells me plenty, really.  I was hoping for a drink that would showcase the rum itself but obviously that's not going to suit her.  Fortunately, we have another idea to try soon that I expect will be more in line with her tastes.

I forgot to take a picture before drinking mine.  So, here is a photo of a red-spotted newt instead:

12 comments:

  1. Time for you to create your own drink: The Red-Spotted Newt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to give that some thought. I suppose getting the color right would be essential.

      Delete
  2. Maybe you should try some other kind of rum. My wife refuses to buy Bacardi. Right now, we have Mount Gay black barrel, but that's only because we haven't been able to get over to the store that carries the stuff she really likes... which I can't remember the name of, right now.

    Nice newt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would certainly be up for playing with different rums. We did find a black, spiced rum we both liked: The Kraken. My wife is less interested in rum in general, though. Fortunately, we are both intrigued by whiskey.

      Delete
  3. You always mix the most interesting drinks. I've never had Cuban rum but I do love Captain Morgan's. I wonder if it would fit with the taste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you like the base flavor of your rum, this drink would work nicely.

      Delete
  4. Not a drinker (health, not choice), just the smell of rum brings back memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rum is a bit like coffee: the smell is better than the taste.

      Delete
  5. What no Gud Kattie with a drink photo ?

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of a red-spotted newt drink, but it's kinds a mouthful. I'm cool with rum, but not oily drinks, so I think this one is a miss for me.
    *toasts from Chi-Town with her honey weiss*
    V :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds more like an ingredient in a witch's brew. Perhaps that's a good starting point...

      I'm not even sure what she means by "oily" but I can understand how that would be unappealing.

      Delete