Friday, December 8, 2017

A Window Above: Perhaps Love

Song: "Perhaps Love"
Writer: John Denver
Album: Perhaps Love by Placido Domingo
Original Release: September 1981

Humility in the face of love: a potent and timeless theme in music and poetry.  John Denver wrote "Perhaps Love" as his first marriage was falling apart.  He wrote it for Placido Domingo, the opera megastar, for the latter's crossover album.  The two sang the song as a rather odd though commercially successful duet.  The song caught on when a Philadelphia station started playing it hourly because... the station owner's wife had a crush on Domingo.

I first heard the song in music class in what must have been the third grade.  I liked it a lot and, as luck would have it, my father had bought the album so I went home to listen to it some more.  I'd forgotten about it, though, until Denver included it on his acoustic album Love Again in 1997.  By then, of course, I'd also had a lot more experience with the song's subject matter and was able to appreciate it all the more.

I can't deny it.  I'm a sucker for songs like this.  Below are both versions.  I prefer John solo but the duet is fun in its way.




8 comments:

  1. I've never heard this song before. It's beautiful. I also prefer John Denver singing it solo.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, John was better at writing love songs than he was at living them.

      Delete
  2. People who enjoy music are at their happiest. My Dad used to play the piano when he was alive at Christmas and other times. The piano hasn't been played since and thats 18 years now. Excellent choice A.Squid. you've lifted my spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John Denver reminds me of childhood. I remember the Placido Domingo version very well. I really like John's solo acoustic version. Very nice!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this song and hear it often on the classical station

    ReplyDelete