Friday, December 29, 2017

Cephalopod Coffeehouse: December 2017

Welcome one and all to the Cephalopod Coffeehouse, a cozy gathering of book lovers, meeting to discuss their thoughts regarding the works they enjoyed most over the previous month.  Pull up a chair, order your cappuccino and join in the fun.  If you wish to add your own review to the conversation, please sign on to the link list at the end of my post.

Title: The Man Who Ate Everything
Author: Jeffrey Steingarten
via Amazon
Jeffrey Steingarten has been the food critic for Vogue magazine since 1989.  The Man Who Ate Everything is a collection his articles, published in 1997.  His work reminds me of Calvin Trillin's which I explored a couple of years ago: a comparable sense of humor, maybe slightly higher brow.  Steingarten is just as enthusiastic an eater as Trillin but he is a far more competent cook, willing to spend hours in his kitchen testing recipes.  He shares Trillin's passion for barbecue, though he is not as partial to one style as Trillin is to Kansas City.  Steingarten even pokes some fun at Trillin by name in his chapter on fruitcake.

Many of the chapters had my mouth watering, none more so than "Playing Ketchup," a self-devised taste test of numerous varieties of the ubiquitous American red sauce.  True to the title of the book, Steingarten's no snob.  While he samples all of the gourmet products he could find, he is partial to good ol' Heinz 57.  In another chapter, Steingarten justifies taking the risks of eating shellfish by resolving not to ski in exchange.  Of course, he doesn't ski anyway.

While I didn't enjoy Steingarten quite as much as I did Trillin, I'm still glad to have read the book and would happily read more.

Please join us and share your own review of your best read from the past month.  This month's link list is below.  I'll keep it open until the end of the day.  I'll post January's tomorrow.  Meetings are the last Friday of each month.  Next gathering is January 26th.


6 comments:

  1. Sounds an interesting read, I've always been put off reading food related books thinking they would be boring. This sounds as though it is different from all those other books out there. You can't beat Heinz 57!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you tend more towards novels so I can understand how food books might not be your first choice. There are some really good memoirs out there. Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain is loads of fun.

      Delete
  2. We got the Food Lab book for Christmas, but it's unlikely that I'm going to read that one straight through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a fun book. I've been looking for something to motivate me to mix things up in the kitchen; maybe this book could help. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might do the trick. I would say, though, that it inspires me more to eat than to cook.

      Delete