Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Squid Mixes: Canadian Coffee

Canadian Coffee is essentially a variation on Irish Coffee.  The recipe I used is by Charmie777 at Genius Kitchen.  It combines whiskey - I used Canadian, of course - with coffee and maple syrup as the sweetener.  The whipped cream topping is optional.  I think it's a winner for our Christmas cocktail as it is yummy and it meets everyone's dietary restrictions.  We'll just have to make cocoa separately for the kids.

The drink isn't too strong.  One doesn't even taste the whiskey, really.  Doesn't knock you out the way some of the other recipes we've tried do, either.  We tried it with regular coffee but we'll use decaf over the holidays.  I think as long as we can find a pleasant tasting one, it should be fine.

I used Vermont syrup, of course, though I'll try to track down a Quebecois product for the drink.  Blasphemous?  A little.  Don't tell my neighbors.  Here's the shocking truth, though, folks: Quebec is actually, by far, the world's largest maple syrup producer accounting for 70% of the total market.  I won't concede that they make the best syrup.  But there's no denying they make the most.


12 comments:

  1. Interesting coffee drink. Did not know the Canadians had a special coffee. I drink coffee no added sprinkles, 5 pumps of sweet, dancing reindeers or anything so I will have to try this.
    Daughter has me hooked on Double Shot Espresso with cold soy.
    So yummy.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I have spent quite a lot of time in Canada over the past few years and I had never heard of "Canadian Coffee" before. I imagine someone came up with it much the way I would have: an Irish Coffee with Canadian whiskey rather than Irish.

      Delete
  2. Ah, yes, too bad I am not one for the maple sugar taste. I know we do provide the most maple syrup all over the world but I think we have the best...even if it is not my fav:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely be in for that taste test anytime.

      Delete
  3. Rarely add anything to my coffee - but whiskey and maple syrup is calling now! Won't be decaff though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love coffee and this sounds tasty. Nice that the whisky blends in and the drink isn't too strong. This time of year it is so chilly- so a nice warm drink sounds delightful. Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it cold in CT, too? Quite bitterly so here. I think we may yet pay for our long summer and mild fall...

      And yes, the warm drinks are nice.

      Delete
  5. I might have to try this, but without the alcohol of course! Thanks for this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Putting maple syrup in your coffee is very Vermonty actually.

      Delete