Friday, January 19, 2018

A Window Above: It's All Too Much

Song: "It's All Too Much"
Writer: George Harrison
Original Release: January 13, 1969
Band: The Beatles
Album: Yellow Submarine

Given the enormous fame of the Beatles, a fame that renews itself with rediscovery by each successive generation, few if any of their songs qualify as under-appreciated deep tracks.  One could easily put together an album-length list of timeless masterpieces that were never even released as singles during the band's initial run.  Such a list would certainly hold its own against the best work of nearly any other band in the world.  And yet, there remain a few fringe classics.  "It's All Too Much" is one of my favorites among them.

The Yellow Submarine album was one of the band's weaker sellers, one of very few to fail to top the charts in either the UK or the US, usually both.  The original LP only contained six "Beatles" songs, two of them re-releases.  The entire second side was orchestral theme music from the movie.  I think it's fair to say that, in general, the new songs were not the band's best material, indeed castoffs from the Sgt. Pepper sessions.  But "It's All Too Much" is a hidden gem.

"It's All Too Much" is one of the trippiest of all the Beatles' trippy songs and its featured scene in Yellow Submarine is one of the highlights of the film.  Harrison wrote the song in 1967 as a celebration of his experiences with LSD, though by the time of the movie's release, he had disavowed the drug in favor of transcendental meditation.  The Hammond organ is meant to mimic the harmonium used in Indian classical music.  To me, the song's one glaring flaw is the fact that it's too long: 6:28.  But initially, it was longer, a full eight minutes.  So, I am grateful for the merciful edits.


14 comments:

  1. My oldest used to watch Yellow Submarine over and over again.
    And over again.
    It was around the same time he was into the Pooh movie with the psychedelic song in it about the woozles.

    I'm just not a huge Beatles fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting combination. When she was younger, my daughter's favorite Beatle was Ringo and her favorite Muppet was Animal. I was sure that meant a future in percussion. Nope, woodwind.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, this isn't one of the Beatle's songs you usually hear about, but it's good. It's also very short, at least it seems that way to me. Intially it's not that memorable, but after a while, it sticks with you.

    I don't think people even realize that Michael Jackson was influenced by the opening riff when he did his song Black or White.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is not the whole song, just a snippet. The ending, unfortunately, goes on forever.

      I didn't know that particular MJ connection either. Of course his relationship with the Beatles ran deep.

      Delete
  3. I really did not care about album that much.
    You have the best background on interesting music post.

    cheers, parsnip and mandibles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting and riveting information. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure you know about Jim Rodford died. I listen to many of the songs and you can hear the Zombies somewhere . Gosh one of my favorite bands. Everyone I know and still remember from my younger days are dying all around or even younger than me. Goodness.

    cheers, parsnip and mandibles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t know about Jim Rodford.

      The Zombies are an under appreciated act. He played with the Kinks, too.

      Delete
  6. They're such a phenomenon even now we still enjoy their music.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yellow Submarine was confusing and disappointing. We have a beatles channel on Sirius, so their music is playing when we drive. I think it is time we switched to the Eagles station.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie has grown on me. Hard Days Night and Help! are definitely better but I appreciate the inventive animation in YS. The psychedelic era was certainly weird, but interesting.

      Delete