Friday, January 5, 2018

A Window Above: Friday I'm in Love

Song: "Friday I'm in Love"
Writers: Perry Bamonte, Boris Williams, Simon Gallup, Robert Smith and Porl Thompson
Original Release: April 21, 1992
Band: The Cure
Album: Wish

I tend to be behind the times in my musical tastes.  I was unimpressed by U2, for instance, when the Joshua Tree album was first released but I became a big fan several years later.  My favorite band, The Beatles, broke up three years before I was born.  Even now, most of the music I listen to was written by dead people, much of it centuries ago.

The Cure is another example.  In truth, I was highly dismissive of the entire British alternative genre in the '80s.  I wrote of my attitude towards The Smiths in this post.  Whiny songs about clinical depression set to electronic keyboards?  No thanks. 

My feelings about The Cure changed when we moved to Vermont in the early aughts.  The area's Adult Alternative station was and still is The Point: WNCS, 104.7 based in Montpelier.  At the time, they played The Cure a lot.  It annoyed me in the beginning but in time, the band grew on me, this song in particular.  After all, I was a beginning teacher.  What's not to love about Friday?



This new love came at a cost.  The station also played The Grateful Dead a lot.  I was never a Dead fan but considered them mostly innocuous.  The Point drove me to hate them.  And so it goes.

14 comments:

  1. Yeah, I love that song. I wouldn't really call myself a Cure fan, but I do love that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still got no speakers but I know this song well enough - loved The Cure, and especially this song. Also loved The Smiths, because I never took the misery seriously. Gives you something nice and jangly to play in your head whenever a conversation gets gloomy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I never considered the benefit to the internal soundtrack.

      Delete
  3. I like other songs by them better. My son is a huge Dead fan. I am not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dead Head culture is fascinating but I only ever observed from a vicarious distance.

      Delete
  4. I still like that one!! PERFECT for Friday drives to work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Squid, that's got to be one of the happiest songs I ever heard. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's 2018 and I'm in love. LOL So excited for the year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I like the Cure pretty well. Not their no. 1 fan, but I like'em. This is a good song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely had a cultish following back in the day - part of the reason I resisted, in fact.

      Delete