Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Squid Cooks: Oven-Seared Lamb Chops

With my wife out of town, the cooking is left to me.  As discussed in previous posts, I am a functional cook.  I know how to make a few things and would not starve left to my own devices.  My wife is the artist.  Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything: The Basics has recently been my go-to cookbook for learning more of the culinary fundamentals. 

The standards for lamb are high at our house.  Lebanese food is one of the primary influences on my wife's cooking.  Bittman's recipe is simple: preheat the oven, rub the lamb chops with garlic and cook.  They took a little longer than the book suggested but that is to be expected in our oven.  Daughter was pleased, said it reminded her of Mama Ayesha's in DC (see this post).  High praise, indeed.  And really, so easy - worth remembering.

12 comments:

  1. I've tried lamb chops a couple of times here at home, and I seem to be the only one in the family who likes them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lamb definitely has a stronger flavor than most of the meats we eat. I think it works best in the right cuisine. Mediterranean cultures know what they’re doing with lamb.

      Delete
  2. That looks delicious. I oven seared a steak once and it turned out pretty well. I wonder what else you can oven sear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know one can do it with fish. Probably less desirable with pork or poultry when you need to be more certain the inside is thoroughly cooked. I can't see why a lamb steak wouldn't work, though.

      Delete
  3. I love lamb and your photo looks wonderful.

    cheers, parsnip and mandibles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big lamb fans in our house. We tend to broil it in the oven with salt, pepper, olive oil and freshly crushed garlic.
    We don't spare the garlic...ever.
    Thanks for sharing the yummy pic!
    V:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have trouble eating any kind of red meat (it's the taste), not sure why. While my husband shares the sentiment for beef, he has no problem with the taste of lamb. He'd probably enjoy this simple recipe and I'd be willing to try it, as long as there were plenty of sides to eat in case it doesn't go so well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went out for Turkish food last night. Such good lamb...

      Delete