Friday, September 21, 2018

A Window Above: Can I Kick It?

Song: "Can I Kick It?"
Writers: Lou Reed, Ali Shaheed Muhammad, J. Davis
Original Release: April 17, 1990
Group: A Tribe Called Quest
Album: People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm



So, we need to talk about hip hop.  I first heard rap on the school bus back in the mid-'80s, long before the music became mainstream.  The first song I remember hearing was "Roxanne, Roxanne" by U.T.F.O., released in 1984.  My experience of the music was also, of course, tied to break dancing. In the beginning, I was more drawn to the dancing than I was the music.  Couldn't do it but I sure loved watching.  When the dancing faded away as fads do, I assumed the music would, too.  Not so.  Run DMC hooked up with Aerosmith and the rest is pop music history. 

That said, I would never have gone so far as to say that I actually liked hip hop.  I didn't actively hate it the way a lot of rock purists did and still do.  Those who argue it's not real music or it's junk are kidding themselves.  Not only is it here to stay but for those who yearn for music that "says something," hip hop has been delivering for a long time.  No genre has had a greater impact on the industry over the past 30 years.  It's not even close.

The blatant misogyny in some of the music is certainly a turn off and I am frequently annoyed by the fact that so many deeply White adolescents only seem to like it for the swear words.  But in the end, I have no one but myself to blame for my ignorance.  I never spent enough time with hip hop to fall in love with any of the songs.  Pandora changed that.

Over time, I did gain appreciation for some of the fusion acts: Us3 and definitely the Fugees.  In fact, I liked them enough to include them as seeds when I started building Pandora stations.  Somehow, "Can I Kick It?" had evaded my notice for 19 years.  Of course, the Lou Reed sample (see last week's post) hooked me instantly.  The beats did the rest.  The song's just fun.  Is it about addiction?  If not, what's he trying to kick?  The line about dropping your pants is a bit off color.  Man, what is this song about exactly?  Does it really matter?  No.  Just get over it and dance, silly White boy!

Sampling has been a part of hip hop from its earliest roots and that, in itself, has been a long-standing objection from the purists.  Mind you, established rockers have not been shy about cashing in on the breaches of intellectual property law.  Thanks to his attorneys, Lou Reed claimed all of the profits from the "Can I Kick It?" single.  Interestingly, the single version of the song features "Walk on the Wild Side" less than the album version featured here does.

There's certainly an interesting discussion to be had over all of this.  After all, haven't White musicians - not to mention recording studio executives - been profiting from the appropriation and even direct theft of Black music for several generations now?  What goes around comes around.  I can't deny that it bothers me sometimes.  I couldn't stand it when Vanilla Ice lifted the bass line from Queen/David Bowie's "Under Pressure."  But that's mostly because the song he made with it sucks.  There is plenty of room in my heart to love both "Walk on the Wild Side" and "Can I Kick It?"

The Icelandic rap duo Bent and 7Berg made a cover called "Má Ég Sparka?"  Need I say more?



Want to hear all of the songs I have featured in a convenient playlist?

Enjoy: A Window Above

What are you listening to these days?

16 comments:

  1. Don't think of myself as a hiphop fan, but sometimes need to listen to some. Good point about appropriation! Loving the playlist :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m not a hip hop fan (but I have liked some of Everlast songs). This one has Lou Reed’s “Walk on the Wildside” music as the background.

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be lying if I tried to say that it wasn't Lin-Manuel Mirando who changed my view of hip hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hamilton is/was a seismic cultural phenomenon - Beatles/Star Wars/Harry Potter-level seismic. The ripples will be felt for a long time. Re-framing hip hop for broad portions of the public is definitely a big part of the story.

      Delete
  4. I don't listen to much hip hop it makes my brain hurt but I do like the beat and give it a 75.
    You do have a very eclectic taste in music and drinks.

    cheers, parsnip and badger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't list much either but occasionally find something I really like.

      Delete
  5. I like all kinds of music. Love lots of rap and hip hop. Break dancing was so popular when I was in growing up. Run DMS, Beastie Boys, and many more. Glad Pandora opened your eyes to this song by Tribe Called Quest. Listed to them a lot in college. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You clearly know the genre a lot better than I do. Definitely still a niche interest on my college campus in the early '90s.

      Delete
    2. Tribe called Quest is awesome as are the beastie Boys :)

      Delete
    3. I have another post lined up for a few weeks hence which you will likely enjoy...

      Delete
  6. So sorry I read this post late. Hip hop is not my favorite, but I do enjoy it quite a bit, especially when it's good like this. Despite most people thinking that it's all about being profain, hip hop has always been about a bigger message at it's core. Sometimes though, it is fun to just listen to a fun song with a nice beat. In any case, I love Tribe called Quest. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My students say it often: there are no hip hop songs that are appropriate for school. It's really not true at all. It's true of the stuff they hear but it's not true of the entire genre.

      Mind you, I've barely scratched the surface myself. But I enjoy exploring.

      Delete
  7. I don't much like Hip Hop. But its sad that most people like it for the swear words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say most people. There are plenty of devotees who like it for all the right reasons. I just know that's a big part of why my own target demographic - small town, White American, early adolescents - is drawn to it.

      Delete