Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Squid Eats: Al's French Frys

Al's French Frys is a northwest Vermont institution, a roadside diner in ever-sprawling suburbia.  They claim to have stuck to the same french fry recipe since the place opened in the late 1940s.  No table service.  You stand in line fast food style, though the food quality is definitely a step up.  They have creemies (soft serve ice cream) in the warmer months which definitely brings in the crowds.  Not that much help is needed there.  The place is always packed.

And yes, the fries truly are good.

For our most recent trip, it was just my daughter and me.  She's started high school this year.  My baby girl is growing up.  As I have written before, I've never been one to wish she wouldn't.  I think it's exciting to watch the young woman emerge.  Even so, four years until college doesn't seem too long at all.  I worry I'll feel I'm just getting to know her, then off she'll go.  It's life, I know, and it's good.

Even so, high school is exciting.  I loved high school myself and she, at least for the moment, likes it for the same reasons I did.  Much of the middle school social absurdity subsides.  Everyone grows up and in my experience, maturity looks good on most people.  The increased work load is a bit overwhelming but we're all learning to manage, together.

We were on a mission that day: a new electronic keyboard.  Over the past six years of piano lessons, she has made do with the 60-key Casio I bought in New York City twenty years ago, not long before I met her mother.  She's gotten pretty good despite its shortcomings but it was time for a new one.  Change doesn't come easily to her, even when it's an obvious change for the better so she was a little testy over lunch.  Maybe I was, too, I don't know.  I know we both felt better after food.  It certainly helped the keyboard shopping afterwards go more smoothly.

10 comments:

  1. Have fun now with family or friends because time doesn't wait. Life is like a magic ball, you get only one chance, one life, on earth to hit it off and score big.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I hate shopping with my daughter.
    Not that I enjoy shopping, but she makes it extremely difficult. For anything, really, but especially clothes.

    But speaking of keyboards, my daughter found a book of Star Wars music for the accordion at the festival this year, which means she's also picking it out on the piano.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter hates making decisions, about anything. So it's usually pretty painful. Thankfully, the keyboard adventure went smoothly - after lunch, anyway.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes young or old we all get cranky. High School is hard for many today.
    Hope you all enjoy the new keyboard.

    cheers, parsnip and badger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High school is supposed to be hard. Putting my cranky old man hat on for just a second here... My high school kicked my proverbial hindquarters. Long term, it was a good thing. I was ready for college when I got there. Not everyone I knew was. Working through the challenges is a more important experience than gaining the knowledge itself.

      Delete
  4. I wait for when my daughter is home so we could go shopping together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you that high school was enjoyable and so much better than middle school!

    Those fries sound good. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will say, though, I enjoy being a middle school teacher a lot more than I did being a middle school student.

      Delete