Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Bitters of the Month: Whiskey Barrel-Aged



Fee Brothers produces a version of its aromatic bitters which is aged in whiskey barrels.  I would say the flavor is closer to Peychaud's than to Angostura: a hint of licorice, though there is a taste of cinnamon which brings it towards Angostura territory.  As for the whiskey aging, there is a smoky peatiness.  If I were more interested in trying the aromatic bitters without the aging, that could be a revealing comparison.  Perhaps some day.

8 comments:

  1. I really want to get into bitters, but they just don't fit the whole tiki cocktail thing much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose not, though the fruitier ones wouldn't be so intrusive, perhaps nice just for a hint of something. I would say peach is the most flavorful one we've tried so far - not a tropical fruit, though it plays well with such flavors.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It is. Like I said, it would be interesting to try in comparison with their usual aromatic bitters.

      Delete
  3. I would like to try some of these bitters. However, me think a smokey/peaty flavor indicates it was in a whisky barrel, not a whiskey barrel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I see what you did there...

      I don't have any scotch on hand at the moment. I should, perhaps, do something about that.

      Delete
  4. I'll try this mix. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete