Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Squid Eats: Tara Kitchen

via Tara Kitchen

We hadn't seen The Philosopher in 13 years, in fact not since this blog post.  He's a friend I've managed to keep since we were both three years old.  Fortunately, we were able to work out a quick overnight connection recently on our way to Pennsylvania.  

He lives in Schenectady, New York, home to, among other things, a nice Moroccan restaurant, Tara Kitchen.  Tara has six locations in all: four in New York State, one in New Jersey and one in India.  Schnectady is a college town and a quiet one in the summer.  There wasn't much competition for parking downtown.  Even so, the restaurant itself was busy.  Getting a table for five required a bit of a squeeze.  

We got potato patties and Moroccan "cigars" as appetizers to share.  The cigars were a bit like egg rolls, made with phyllo dough and lamb.  I would definitely get those again.  On The Philosopher's girlfriend's recommendation, I got the chicken with mixed vegetables in apricot and prune sauce.  It was delicious, though heavy.  I wasn't able to finish.  

I'd go again, though as it was our first time in town, I'm eager to explore other offerings.  Hopefully, it won't be another 13 years until our next visit.  Maybe we can visit the one in India some day.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting place to eat. Just how you describe your chicken, makes me think it's a heavy meal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely heavier than what I associate with the eastern end of the Mediterranean. Still delicious.

      Delete