Monday, January 18, 2010

Australian Open Day 1: Some Days, It Rains

Curtain Call

Player: Blaz Kavcic
Nation: Slovenia
Age: 22
Current ranking: 124
Today's result: loss to Wayne Odesnik (USA) in four sets

This is Kavcic's first appearance in a Slam and he got to the main draw through three qualifying rounds. He went down swinging, taking the first set off of Odesnik before going down.

Caught a decent portion of the day's rain-limited action but the Golden Globes were on and at our house, award shows are high priority. I can't even blame my wife - I was switching back and forth between the two even after she went to bed. There were other distractions, too: I had to mute the Clijsters match at one point so I could hear the coyotes whooping it up outside in the woods. And, of course, there's the need for sleep.

All Part of My Fantasy

Even with the limited action, I've already lost one of my semi-finalists! I suppose it shouldn't be such a huge shock that Sharapova lost early, as she's been out of action for a while. Still, you can usually count on her to muscle her way through the early rounds.

I had better luck with the suicide pool as Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez (24th seed, Spain) double-bageled her opponent, Evgeniya Rodina (Russia). Due to the rain, I'm still waiting on the Sam Querrey (25th, USA) match. I'll admit it's a little risky picking him over Rainer Schuettler (Germany), a former finalist at the event, but it's slim pickings in the men's draw. It's hard to see anyone beyond Federer and Nadal as safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment